Fishing 2014

The boy gots mad skillz...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_Ti_H4m94Wo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Make a family together memory? If dad doesn't remember when they killed the big alligator, time for a rest home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if they're still good eating when they get that old?
The really big ones are not as good Butch. This one is far from a thousand pounds but this lady was proud of it. She made a seat cover for her Harley out of the hide and it was beautiful. She was a cool customer and got it done. I wish half the men I've guided were as good as her.

Gator Sept 2009 209.jpg

I'm not saying they're not edible, they're just not as good. If you cut out all the red and run it through a cuber it's not bad, but the 6-8 footers are the best eating to me. A gator is one tough critter. I took a guy from Wyoming last year and one of his gators had this sharp pencil sized "something" sticking out it's side. I pulled it out and it was a horseshoe crab leg that had passed through the side of the gator's stomach and all the way out through the hide. He seemed to be perfectly healthy.

Ray, like in some vids, baiting and hooking it, then a shot to the head, is that how it is normally done? Some of the guys waving around a rifle to get a shot at the struggling creature, it looks more dangerous than the gator. Wonder how they were able to hoist up a 1000lb alligator?

Ray, like in some vids, baiting and hooking it, then a shot to the head, is that how it is normally done? Some of the guys waving around a rifle to get a shot at the struggling creature, it looks more dangerous than the gator. Wonder how they were able to hoist up a 1000lb alligator?
Jay, we can't set hooks in Florida. I may be biased but I don't see much sport in that. I believe I could catch every gator in the county on a hook, given enough time. We basically stalk them with the boat, trying to get close enough to get a harpoon point in them, which is ten feet or less, preferably less. It's up close and personal and most big gators are very wary. We also can't shoot them with a rifle, we must use a powerhead like divers use to finish them. Loading a big gator into the boat takes some technique and knowhow. I would suspect they towed that one in. Our biggest ones have been around 700-750 pounds. A thousand pounder would capsize most boats even if you had the wherewithal to get him up on the gunnel.

A gator is one tough critter. I took a guy from Wyoming last year and one of his gators had this sharp pencil sized "something" sticking out it's side. I pulled it out and it was a horseshoe crab leg that had passed through the side of the gator's stomach and all the way out through the hide. He seemed to be perfectly healthy.

Damn I love stories of critter robustness and toughness. Your story here is wild, Ray. And how bout those stories of deer killed by hunters who find the deer heart was pierced by a sharp stick that the creature obviously ran into and got speared by, yet he was completely healthy and the wound was completely healed.

most big gators are very wary.

That is very cool too, but sorta surprising to me- if they rule supreme at the top of their food chain you would think they wouldn't be wary cuz they fear nothing. Or are you saying they are aware that humans are a threat to them and are wary therefore of them, but not of the rest of their animal kingdom bros?

Damn I love stories of critter robustness and toughness. Your story here is wild, Ray. And how bout those stories of deer killed by hunters who find the deer heart was pierced by a sharp stick that the creature obviously ran into and got speared by, yet he was completely healthy and the wound was completely healed.

That is very cool too, but sorta surprising to me- if they rule supreme at the top of their food chain you would think they wouldn't be wary cuz they fear nothing. Or are you saying they are aware that humans are a threat to them and are wary therefore of them, but not of the rest of their animal kingdom bros?
Cory it's us they are wary of. We even go so far as using cover scent (a container of rotten fish) because their nose is incredible too. They have hundreds sensory devices on their head that feel you approaching even if you're dead quiet.

Damn I love stories of critter robustness and toughness.

They killed Micheal Jackson today after he took a guy fishing. He was an albino croc about 15ft. https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/2475521...ter-fatal-attack-was-1-in-100-million-rarity/

"Michael Jackson" had been a veteran of battles with other crocodiles over territory.

"This particular croc had lots of scars, missing limbs, a huge bite out of his flank. He'd been through the wars," he said.

I can't believe how stupid some people are, he knew the area and it's posted but he still went in the water. :crazy:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-...n-front-of-wife-in-northern-territory/5679454

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0T3sNSCoV9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes Steve, that is a shame such a creature had to be put down. Good article.

I wonder which kills more people, crocs/gators or sharks?

Ray, if you guide gator hunts, PM me. Id be interested in hiring you. Im less of a douche in person.

Tuck, I didn't apply for any tags this year, I told my partner I was retiring from guiding this year, the hunting all night and working all day is not as much fun as it used to be, but if you can get tags next year, I'd be glad to take you. The application period is normally April - May and the season runs from August 15 thru October. I've been guiding for many years, fishing and gator hunting. Met a lot of good folks from all over. One fellow from Finland, Juha Kylma, has hunted with us twice. One of the best hunters and bowshots I've ever known, and a heck of a nice guy. He brought his own camera lady and made a video for a Finnish hunting program. He even wrote an article in a Fin hunting mag about the hunts and sent us a copy. The pics were nice but I couldn't read a word. I'm sure his hunts are on the web somewhere.

Back