Filson bibs or chaps?

flushcut

TreeHouser
Anybody out there wearing them? I am thinking about getting a pair of their bibs this winter but I have questions about the fit and how easy they are to get over boots?

Need more specificity on the fabric you're looking at, Rajan...

Filson "tin pants" (and the matching coat) used to be de rigueur field wear for PNW loggers and fieldmen, back in the day. A waxed cotton canvas that stood stiff in the corner after you shucked 'em each day, never washed, EVER, so as to retain the original wax water resistance. But I think they are offering a more "wife acceptable" :D product these days.

If what you want is a good, though also somewhat pricy, warm bib, look at Carhart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am thinking of the tin cloth bibs uninsulated. I tend to sweat no matter how cold it gets and want a tough wear layer for the wet sloppy seasons, early winter/spring thaw.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
A picture for the 3rd world moron would be nice.

Rajan, it was my experience that tin cloth garmets are pretty effective at shedding water, but only if they are never washed. I mean it, first time through a washer, they loose much of their water repellancy. They are stiff, not real comfortable to wear until they are really broken in, even then you'll know why they are called "tin".

But some old PNW logger types swear by them.

Filson tin cloth is the measuring stick us grouse hunters measure all fabrics against. Buy them. At once.

Yes. They get better with age so be patient. They can be like wearing plywood at first, but time will break them in. Let them get all nastied up with bar oil and such. It adds to the water proof factor.

They remind me of my old Belstaff motorcycle jacket.
Thing stunk like an oilrefinery when it got warm, but sure was waterproof.

Ok so I get the fact they are stiff but how's the fit? True to size? Tight? Loose?

They better for what they charge for that stuff. I've always had good luck walking around briars instead of thru them:P They show pics in the catalogue of working people using some of their gear but I find it hard to believe, at those prices.

I'll never understand spending big bucks on work clothes... and you can't even wash them? How can someone not wash their work clothes???

This is not clothing like pants or a shirt. Filson tin cloth is an out layer that can withstand abuse that 20 pairs of jeans will not. You get what you pay for. Its like your cool vest Butch. It set you back a few bucks, but it enables you to work in less then desirable conditions. Tin cloth does the same. Especially logging. Work in a briar patch on a rainy cold day and you will spend a weeks wages on whatever it takes to stop the misery.

I no longer do in a work setting. The best way to describe tin cloth is like outer armor. It's good enough that you can sell your used chaps or bibs on eBay for good money.

If you lost it somewhere you'd wanna shoot yourself

$612 for a shirt? Ignore that. Look at the bibs and chaps. Less then $200.

I looked it up. Tin cloth chaps are $85. I cant see a big issue there. A pair of jeans is 30-40 bucks. They rip and soak in an instant. Im surprised you guys are grossed out over the cost. That seems reasonable for time proven unbeatable outer wear that keeps you dry and can handle anything short of going through a chipper.

I looked it up. Tin cloth chaps are $85. I cant see a big issue there. A pair of jeans is 30-40 bucks. They rip and soak in an instant. Im surprised you guys are grossed out over the cost. That seems reasonable for time proven unbeatable outer wear that keeps you dry and can handle anything short of going through a chipper.

^ This is why I want them.

Back