'Feeling ' with your feet

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
I climbed a new species of tree yesterday, I think it was an almond, but not the west indian one I'm used to...anyway, do you ever get that feeling moving through a new tree, that you can feel with your feet?
The bark was thin with lots of little crispy curls, a little slippery, the wood was snappy, latex like sap...it had been cut previously, some dead wood, some rot pockets, and the rest kinda thin.
I swear I could feel every bend, tension whatever, and it was my feet sending the strongest signals...or am I just nuts!!!:what:

i don't think you could tell unless you were barefoot ;)

How far out can I walk on this branch? I'd swear I feel that in my feet. I feel like I get a sense of a tree through my feet.

Maybe I know what you mean Fiona.

It's like it starts in your feet, but continues up through your femurs and finally to your shoulders. The feeling that I'm talking about usually occurs when I have about half my weight on my tie-in point.

Richard likes to climb in Vibram Fivefingers. The next best thing to going barefoot.
You might try those out, that'll make you able to feel a lot through your feet.

P1000658.JPG

And, yes, I know what you mean. When I climb in light boots, I get a better feeling for the tree, than when I wear my Wescos.

I like to feel things being trampled under my feet. I wear Pfanner klima air boots, suitable for crushing rebellions, small cities, squeaky animals and my enemies underfoot. Not so good for feeling the variation of arboreal species through.

Brevity and smelling errors courtesy of iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've seen those over here Stig, people using them as water shoes, I bet they are great for tree climbing...they sure look funky!
I was wearing Sip chainsaw boots at the time:what:, maybe I was just paranoid that day, the tree wasn't in the best shape, and yes Jed, I was sharing the weight with my TIP so I concur with you!
I guess we take in signals from all points when it comes to iffy trees.

We have what are called 'tabis', most everyone working out of doors wears them, unless more protection is important. Sooooo comfortable on your feet, and most excellent for climbing. Waterproof available and different lengths up the leg. You really feel what is beneath your feet, but still with cushioning. Very similar if not the same to some marshal arts footwear.

Attachments

• 431387742_tp-1.gif
    431387742_tp-1.gif
    214.5 KB · Views: 44
If he ever runs across the snapper I saw in the Everglades 30 years ago, he'll have no feet left to feel with.
That thing was almost the size of a bathtub and it hasn't gotten smaller over the years.

Back