facebook?

I wonder if the 70 year olds feel the same way about the color tv? I think the current situation allows the generations more opportunity to interact, with more people. IF they embrace the current technology. If the parents ignore the facebook, text messaging, twitter etc then they will definitely distance themselves from their kids. If you use the means they use, you can keep in touch and be 'hip', but then again, are the older generations supposed to be in touch with the younger ones?

Tell me the next time you see an abacus in use, other than a museum ;)

I gotta say Paul I disagree with this. My kid averages 3 to 4 hrs a day of reading at home. No tv is what prompted this. At times I find myself griping at my kid to stop reading and get some chores or something done and I kind of chuckle, nice problem to have my kid reads to much. I think some technologies are good, I'm starting to research possibly a e-reader for her to help keep her in 'books'. Running out is a nightmare at times when we haven't made the library. But the total immersion of our youth in 'technology' is very unhealthy imo. Time will tell I suppose but I'd rather my daughter do real thing rather than 'apps' about real things. Imo she gets plenty of exposure to technology already just through school and friends at school. I want a kid with wore out limbs from playing and doing things, not wore out fingers from texting/typing. I really believe that how we expose our children to technology is very important. My daughter is 7 I don't want her hooked up to the internet, or watching tv at this point in her life. I want her development of who she is and how she's supposed to look to come from me and my wife.

I edited to clarify I disagree with having to keep up in order to stay involved or be 'hip'. I don't disagree with Paul's wife spending some cuddly time doing a fun bit of something on a i-pad. I see that as an interactive time between mother and son and if technology is involved who cares. What I don't like is seeing kids just turned loose to 'zone out' with their phones or games or whatnot.

Good luck enforcing that on younger workers.

I've had young to old working for me it's stated up front they could choose not to work for me if they want. I can't imagine in this industry having someone checking their 'texts' between pieces being lowered or something. That BS, not only is it distracting it's lazy. I'm not paying someone to chat or text on their phone. There is always something to do on my job-site other than talking/texting. I rarely ever make or take a call as the owner because I feel it's a dogging it maneuver.

I know what Paul means, I am very tech savvy - But I bring my Kids up like Squishey. We buy endless books and arty crafty stuff, my son wanted a playstation so I bought him a motorbike instead, my 6 year old daughter loves horses, so I can see that developing nicely.
My kids will happily spent hours vacantly watching crap on the telly if I let them, far better for them to spend that time reading. We have a huge trampoline, and built them a couple of treehouses. Anything to keep them outside playing.
Not saying I'm right... but its what I prefer.

What is this Facebook thing of which y'all speak???

:)
There ya go!

Squish, That's awesome mang :thumbup: I raise our kids the same way. And even the home phone best not be answered (if it is even plugged in) during dinner time. The Wii was a big stretch for me. They are limited to about 1-2 hours total per day. My kids love dirt and sticks. And that is awesome as far as I am concerned. We also share what news we read with them at the table and world events are part of their home schooling.

The worst part about all this `connectivity` with other people is that a lot of these posts, and tweets are filled with trivial bullshit. Whether you are a celebrity or someone I used to drink with all the time, I couldn`t really care less what errands you ran today, or the car accident you were almost involved in or where you are going for supper tonight. Knowing this tripe adds nothing to my day and the time I took to read it is gone forever. Of course none of these statements apply to this fine forum we have here where every post is a pearl of wisdom which I am all the better for after reading.;)

Took a break from the Treehouse, just easing back into it. Work kinda sucks lately. The hands on stuff of the actual job is still fun but as usual the people are proving themselves to be pieces of shit. Work friends are rarely "real" friends and I am sadly being reminded of that lately. Just have to remember that supporting my family is important and everyone else can go F themselves. I'm still as positive and sunny as ever...

Good to read ya, Ryan.

Part of me quitting my part time job was everyone elses attitude. It made the work miserable from the time I walked in, to dismissal.

Ha, you outta see the kids I deal with at McDonalds. Every single one of them is glued to their smartphones - it's amazing... and quite a problem.

Good to read you again, Ryan. And I hear ya about the "work friends" thing...

That's it about work, it can tell you who your friends really are, and which ones aren't. Keep in touch, Ryan.

I've made many good lifelong friends through work. Depends on the people though. I've never been one to pretend to be friends with someone just because we work together.

Thanks for allowing me to whine and vent. I'll try and post with some positivity over the weekend but not in this thread. I still think facebook sux.:P

Facebook is cool. It's a great way to communicate. Communication leads to success, atleast for me. Ya, people talk about dumb stuff, but thats their problem not mine. Its not like they are calling my answering machine and leaving dumb statuses.

I tell ya Facebook is depressing. I find these old friends, people that I was super tight with when a kid, and it's like, "Well, I sort of remember you, didn't we play baseball together?" Actually, among other things, it was more like being over at each other's houses everyday for years. If people forgot the love, just telling them about it doesn't bring it back. Bummer! They aren't that old, but their memories are shot. Damn, makes me lonely.....

Repo companies use Facebook like crazy to locate cars that have to get popped. My buddy is a Repo guy and he said Facebook is his go to for helping to solve riddles. He has a variety of tricks to friend people. He just waits for people to do something like mention "taking Joey to Olive Garden for lunch then picking up my sister from class." He waits in the distance for the car to arrive, they go in to eat, BAM, he swings the truck into the parking lot and loads the car up.

Back