Estate Wagon, Sears and Roebuck

Burnham

Woods walker
A few years back I stumbled across this light duty yard/garden wagon in a barn sale for next to nothing. It was in pieces, several bolts that hold the axles to the frames having broken from use on rough ground, I think. The tires were flat and a few of the side boards were missing, but all in all it was pretty much intact...the only part missing was a removable support frame from one side. It even is a tip bed, though I basically don't use that. I think it may have been an option to have a manual hydraulic cylinder to dump with, but this one doesn't have that.

I bolted it back together with grade 8 bolts and hefty washers/lock washers, spent a little bit at the tire shop getting the rusty rims to hold air, and put it to work on my 5 acres. I pull it behind my garden tractor.

This thing has saved me more labor around the property than almost any other tool I have. The pivoting front axle makes it very manueverable. I don't know how much weight it could carry, but I think the little tractor would give up before the wagon would. Several hundred pounds in firewood is no problem.

This past weekend I cut up some big old Doug fir limbs that last winter's heavy snows had broken out of some of my larger trees. DF limbwood on old open grown trees can get big, and it really makes great firewood, with very dense growth rings.

Here's a pic or two, just for fun :).

Attachments

• estate wagon 001.jpg
    estate wagon 001.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 11
  • estate wagon 002.jpg
    estate wagon 002.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 12
It may be little but with those flotation tires it will haul a bunch .They're the same size used on riding lawn mowers .I have a pair on my two wheel lawn cart and have had a half a ton of bricks on it with no problem .Probabley not designed for such a load but it held up .

That is cool, I can think of a lot of practical uses for that little trailer. Nice job Burhamizing it.

I bet it will haul a ton .You might not be able to pull it though .Well down hill but then you wouldn't be able to stop lest you toss out an anchor .

My father in law has an old 2 wheel one that he uses too behind his..... Lawnmower...:/:. He also has my trailer behind my 4 wheeler to use. I'll put up a few pix in the garden thread representing what he hauls in them

Jasper hides when Burnham gets the wagon out. Jasper knows he has to earn his keep. He fears his harness will be hooked to the wagon and Burnham will expect him to pull it uphill.

Jasper is no fool. Wise old hound, he is.

Really nice find Burnam :thumbup: I have a cart similar with the pivoting tow bar and front wheels but not as nice as that. Really sweet. Great for moving fire wood about the yard. :)

My wife would love a wagon like that for moving things around the homestead.

What is that, a 24" bar, for cutting up 3 inch branches.
Good to see you are keeping the PNW style up:lol:

You are right about conifer branchwood being dense.
I was looking at a branch that had broken out of a giant Sequoia under the weight of all the snow last winter, Smallish branch, maybe 4 feet across.
There was probably 1500-2000 growth rings in that.
I was just wishing for a chainsaw so I could cut me a block to take home and spin on the lathe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can stand straight upright and cut those branches into firewood lengths without bending over...saves my old back :D. And hey!...some of those were even six inches :lol:.

Just couldn't help myself.
You know how it is, since that one goes both ways:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's the best fun we have, teasing each other about how short yours is and how long mine is...:P

;)

Back