End of Ash?

Too little. In times of drought big trees will show signs of stress years after the fact while younger trees show stress much quicker so they get water while the big trees dry out.

From my observation the small trees were saved most likely because they didn't contain enough inner bark to sustain the EAB grubs . In my case with the die off of mature trees zillions of new saplings have risen up because the sunlight could reach the ground .Those little saplings are about three feet tall now .They might make it only time will tell .I'll never live long anough to see them grow to 100 feet like the kill off but perhaps my great great grand children might . BTW I have American elm but they die off at about 10-12 inches in diameter if they make it that long .In that 5 acres of oak woods I bought the canopy is so full the only chance a young tree can survive is grow tall real quick .So you end up with east coast giant 100 feet 250 year old oaks and skinny little tall pecker poles every where .Most likely exactly like it might have been about the war of 1812 .

Back