New in these parts

weedkilla

TreeHouser
Figured I'd make my first post a bit of a g'day and introduce myself before I start annoying you with questions!
Last few years I've returned home to help in a family business as my dad approaches retirement, we mostly do weed control of any sort - broad acre, roadsides, streets, environmental stuff, prep for reveg. It's all good, but very weather dependant. About 5 years ago we bought a chipper after a big stand of olives we killed was deemed a fire risk and had to be removed. The chainsaw and tree work grew from there. It's mostly removing weed tree species, sometimes fell and leave, other times it's mulch the waste.
Often on the side if the road we'd have people ask about residential work, and I did what I could fell without climbing.
I have a quarry customer that needs some weeds treated on a cliff face, and it seems that people who do rope work, have pest licences and chainsaw tickets are a bit rare around here. I started looking at rope work certification and training (I have no idea) and stumbled on an arboriculture course that will get me all the certification I need. I start in September.
This really appeals - I'm quite keen on tree climbing, and tree work generally so I'm going to give it a crack. Obviously I can't put my own business on hold to go and work for an arborist to learn the ropes and will be depending a lot on the advice I can garner from places like here, and the training I will receive. Seems like this is the most welcoming forum to idiots who want to learn tree work from different backgrounds - so here I am!
My copy of the tree climbers companion and every arborist services catalogue I can find has been read till I'm thoroughly confused, so from here on in I reckon the stupid questions begin!
Any, and all, advice is greatly appreciated as I start buying gear and getting ready to learn. I've done enough training courses in various things to know that the chance of me learning what I need to know from a training provider is about 50/50, could be great or it could be a waste of time and a ticket at the end that says I'm qualified irrespective of any knowledge I have (or don't!).
I'm hoping this will grow into a nice sideline in my business and I'm in no rush to be an overnight expert, but particularly when it comes to gear I believe in buying once and buying right.
Cheers, Andrew.

Welcome Mate. You have some mighty knowledgable sorts right there Down Under who are on the forum.
Fire away with your questions.

Only advice before your first question is an obvious one: No matter what you are trying, take it low and slow.
A frightening situation is a lot easier to manage without the ill-effects of gravity.
I'll often try something out on a chin-up bar in a doorway with a foam pad beneath ;) -and that is after being around tree work for nigh on 30 years.

Be safe, and again, welcome.

Hello Andrew. One of our members here has focused his long career in Tree work to produce the most excellent text, "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work", by Gerald F. Beranek. He has also produced historical references on trees of the Pacific Northwest. Jerry has also made a series of videos pertaining to tree falling and climbing. Many of us here in the Treehouse are indebted to the great information that Mr. Beranek has provided. You can't go wrong adding the book and videos to your library of references, you definitely will be glad that you did. Googling the author's name should bring up where the book and vids can be obtained. It looks like I'm the first to mention Jerry's work to you, but no doubt someone else would have. I don't think that Jerry's books and vids are available through our sponsor, TreeStuff, or I would recommend that you purchase from there.

Good luck, be safe!

Sorry, Terri, thanks for the update. I looked at the website but couldn't find them. Definitely check it out, Andrew. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha! Yeah, gotta laugh when Google takes you in circles.
Looks like tree stuff have good postage rates to Aus too....

Thanks guys.

Back