Emoticon use

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 29
  • Views 3K
F

Frans

ever notice that it is almost required nowadays to use them? I guess it makes sense seeing as how no real emotion can be conveyed just be writing some words unless you spell it out.

I would like to have a bunch of emoticons that I could remotely raise and lower in my back window of the vehicle.
Tailgater? Just show them this :X
turn indicator left on? show them this :? or maybe this :|:

I could have fun with this.

Hummm, maybe it is time for me to log off, if I am beginning to think about stuff like this :|:

michae10.gif

Sometimes they are just what I need to finish a post... but most of the time I leave the delivery nice and dry... let people guess a little bit. :evil:

When I first started writing here, I didn't want to use them.
I felt it should be possible to put ones intended meaning across, without resorting to cheap tricks.
After inadvertently pissing a few people off, maybe because my grasp of the english language isn't as good as I thought, I've started using them.
I wish I didn't have to, though.

With my odd sense of humor I need to use them. I think otherwise a lot of my posts would be misunderstood by most.

To sound snooty again, I am also not fond of LOLs and other web abbreviations. Oh and I like saying "cannot."

Meh, that's like saying using contractions or LOLs are cheap tricks. They're just other tricks in the bag.

To me the use of emoticons are something like: " I can't write well enough to get my meaning across, but instead of trying to learn to write better, I'll just toss in an emoticon to clarify".
That's why I referred to them a "cheap tricks". Contractions and abbreviations are a whole other thing.
I may be a writing elitist, but I'm not as snooty as Darin. Contractions don't bother me, I see them as a necessary evil in natural childbirth.

I love contractions, especially the ones I make up on the fly. I like well placed smiley/emoticons too... LOLs don't do much for me though.

Man is more and more becoming an emotionless entity, a dangerous situation, and if you care to think that emoticons are in a state of evolution within a supremely powerful medium, without better monitoring of their condition, they may one day control us.

I think that you happen to be a sarcastic person. Then you will definitely need them as sarcasm does not come across well when it is written instead of spoken.

Thank you. That's the entire point of the 'lil suckers.
mac1.gif

And my brother Stig, you're FOS. ;)

:beer:

It must be a you're a peeing thang... :|:

For my learned buddy Stig ,I can write with the best of them,doubt that not for a second . This stuff is relaxation and we can let our hair down just a tad bit if we so desire .:big-jump::grab:

Back