Electric capstan

I was going to use a cordless drill to drive a sailboat capstan, but yeah man, I'm sure it's super super handy to have. Combined with your log arch you can do all sorts of stuff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't found what the batteries can be used with, in addition to the capstan.

They mention that there are other applications for the battery.

I have the 5000 Gas Powered. Same rating. But it really has never been able to pull 2K IMO.
Love it though. Battery op I would worry where to buy batteries as well. But if it makes money, hey...
Pulling tree over? Not so much. I've done it. But I prefer the Maasdam continuous or with the skid steer. Fast pulls are done with a truck.
Winches are not all that fast BTW.

I also have the 5000
Starts first or second pull even after it has been sitting unused for weeks or a month or more.
On anything "heavy" I usually strap a block to the log and run the line from the winch through the block back to the tree the winch is attached to get a 2:1

I’d not consider a battery model for treework. Too many long cycles of work would deplete it too quickly. Like @Mick! I bought an ederwinch, which is a 2 stroke machine which eliminates the need for different fuel and it will run on an angle.

We have the pcw 5000 as well, owes us nothing. Absolute life saver for blowdown on islands. We'll do multiple uphill pulls 1-200 feet, which I don't think the electric would do, but maybe?

Switching to 2:1 more than doubles the dragging ability imo. Smooths out the jerkiness of rope stretch or something. Trim log butts like that swiss lake hillside logging video.

Why electric @SouthSoundTree? The 3000 series is probably frustratingly underpowered for regular tree work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was just interested a bit. Passing idea.

I have a Simpson capstan that i am about to put on my old ms361. Good to have on hand for storm season, and doubles as a backup saw, plus it's basically new, and paid for a long time ago.

I'd like to find good use for it. I bought it pre-miniloader.

Back