Effective way to haul debris up a steep hill

This is not a very easy video to watch because of the particular camera we used.....but persevere and you'll get sense of the labor and effort saved. We took out about 5-6 40ft cedars. No ideal anchor for the winch so we used a line to get the right position. The main thing was being able to take part of the fence out, without we'd have been in for a long day, and longer faces by the finish. Use the HD setting

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XJ5741tCWZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slope or no slope, I believe you Willard. There must be some complex theory that says pushing or pulling wheels in snow equals slope.

I always thought this would be the shat to have for jobs like that.......

m274a5.jpg

So where is the engine or motor on it?
60% or even 40 degree slope climbing sounds hard to believe. I've ascended on rope at 45 degree and that was only possible on rope.

...The shorter the wheel base the steeper incline a vehicle can climb.

Ehhh? That's backwards.

Without pictures it's tough to offer advice. Most machines that can navigate the hill would tear up the grass, if there is any. A track loader can get up steep hill, if the ground is firm enough. A mini excavator can get up a steeper hill, possibly towing a trailer or hoe chucking.

So where is the engine or motor on it?
60% or even 40 degree slope climbing sounds hard to believe. I've ascended on rope at 45 degree and that was only possible on rope.
I just the math and I see 60% incline is equal to 31 degree incline. Still pretty darn steep though, Some Hummers claim a hill climb of 45 degrees buts that with enough momentum and good tractive ground.
Ehhh? That's backwards.

Without pictures it's tough to offer advice. Most machines that can navigate the hill would tear up the grass, if there is any. A track loader can get up steep hill, if the ground is firm enough. A mini excavator can get up a steeper hill, possibly towing a trailer or hoe chucking.
I was saying shorter wheel base in 4 wheel drive as my Ford Bronco could climb better then my long box F150 4X4.

I was saying shorter wheel base in 4 wheel drive as my Ford Bronco could climb better then my long box F150 4X4.
I had to think about this seeing I owned these 2 vehicles 30 years ago. The Bronco could climb better because of it's limit of approach of the slope with its short front end and rear end , also the short wheel base would crest the top of the hill with more clearance then the long wheel base F150 would.

Then doing some research one source says shorter the wheelbase slows traction gain.......:dontknow:

Approach, departure, and break over angles don't relate to hill climbing ability specifically. They relate to getting on and off the hill. The higher the break over angle (usually) means higher COG which includes weight transfer to the rear axle. Longer wheel base (usually) lessens the weight transfer, which increases hill climbing ability.

This is the same reason you want the load to be on the uphill side of the loader, to keep the weight more evenly spread between the axles or along the tracks.

I've climbed some pretty steep grades with my Muck Truck in 1st gear with about 800 lbs on.
Not sure I have done 38% inclines like the Muck Truck website claims it can do. But by off centering the load ahead to compensate for the incline I done a lot of steep terrain work with that little machine.
I just revisited that website and it's 38 degrees not 38% incline the machine is capable of climbing fully loaded........ so that would be about 78% grade.

I'm with Carl on the wheel base. A flat slope wouldn't matter much, its the slight bumps that would raise the front end faster, the shorter the wheelbase. Clearly either extreme wouldn't work in the real world.

A short wheel base on a jeep allow it to clear signficant bumps/ boulders without high-centerting.

A Hummer has a long wheel base, right, compared to a Jeep. Neither is intended for hauling a big load while super climbing, right?

I think in the case of my Muck Truck with a 4 inch wheel base and the operator walking behind, the limit of approach and the 4 tires footprint are at the maxium for climbing stairs, rough ground and 78% (38 degree) inclines with a full 800 lb load.
A tracked machine would just slide back down a flight of stairs. Same thing I'd think on very rough slopes.

As this video shows. Notice the loose gravel laying on the steps doesn't effect the Muck Trucks traction.

http://youtu.be/VNqe_K2xC14

Wheelbase... I think of distance between front and rear. Are you talking about low center of gravity, Willard?
Yes in my barrow's wheel base measurement ...4 inches between front and rear tires.

Looked like sorta optimum tread length. That was great climbing.

I wonder how a tracked machine would work on stairs.
A tracked machine would slide backwards down the stairs, especially if it had a full 800 lb load of gravel on it like that Muck Truck was carrying.

Ok Sean I see the confusion. To add to my last post the true wheel base of my Muck Truck is 22 1/2 " inches between the points where the front and rear tires touch the ground.

Back