Earth Anchors / Staking

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
We have been doing a lot of blown over spruce trees lately. We use these:

SEA.jpg

They are ok but its no easy chore spinning 3 much less 12 of them into the ground. We have a ghetto driver bit but its kind of violent and breaks, needing replaced often.

Small $4.95 = 500lbs
Large $7.95 = 2500lbs

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=207&item=1118
-----------------------------

I am interested in these:

EA1.jpg

Small $2.95 =300lbs
Medium $5.95 =1100
Large $11.95 = 3000

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=207&item=1117

Who knows something?

I have used the duck bills. I keep a set in the shop and use it every few years. Wouldn't use it on spruce though, most common tree to fall in our winter winds and rain. Not sure why but they just can't hold on, pulled roots 12' long right outta the ground.

What are you driving with? I'd guess A piece of rebar would do nicely, or something of that nature. Some might go so far as to use a stick, if you knew where to find one. :)

I use these Nick quite a few times. 3 in triangle formation to pull out a 40 plus year old Norway maple out of the ground , Stump and all with the GRCS with no added mechanical advantage and few times as speed line anchors. You ahve to dig a couple a feet and then pry them out with I-beam jack. Remember to drive them in the direction they are being pulled.
Glad I have them when I needed them. the ones i have are the 3000pounders and bought some steel rod for a driver.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We use a 3" hole-saw bit, fit around the eye with a bolt running through the 'speed hole' in the hole saw bit. It works great until you hit a rock or a root and then the drill beats you like there is no tomorrow. Or until the hole saw bit breaks off the mandrel.

I have a vision of a machined aluminum slot, with a driver fitting and a retention pin that could do the job with a tighter fit and less violent action but I lack the machining skills. If you guys think its a good idea maybe I can convince Paul to make em!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Put this:
HSS-Bi-Metal-Hole-Saw_large.jpg

Onto:
1fda_21.jpg

Put the eye of this into the hole saw, and stick a bolt through that hole in the side, making sure to go through the eye.
SEA.jpg

Dont hurt yourself. It works better if you grind off the teeth and make sure the bolt is the right length. Otherwise you can hurt yourself.

Put this:
View attachment 45084

Onto:
View attachment 45085

Put the eye of this into the hole saw, and stick a bolt through that hole in the side, making sure to go through the eye.
View attachment 45086

Dont hurt yourself. It works better if you grind off the teeth and make sure the bolt is the right length. Otherwise you can hurt yourself.

Seems like a branch/ bar in the eye of the earth auger would be easier.

The duckbill is cool, but not reuseable. The only downside that I see.

Back