Dynamic rope bridge?

B Diggedy

It is what it is..
So this thought popped in my head the other day and I haven't seen it discussed anywhere. Has anybody ever considered/done this with the idea of making their saddle more "shock load friendly"? I'm not gonna be the one to guinea pig this, but wudda ya'll think:dontknow:? Would sitting static on it for days stretch it out permanently and make it ineffective? I've only read a little about dynamic ropes as they're not used in tree work, but what I've read leads me to suspect that using such a short length would result in very little stretch capability to begin with. Granted nobody should be shock loading their equipment anyway, but the concept sounds...interesting

There wouldn't be harm in it but with 1 foot of dynamic rope there is only a few inches of potential stretch even in a severe fall (and we don't want severe falls) in day to day use I don't think you would notice much shock absorption.

IMHO working to avoid falls is key, ie working within the species of tree's limits and strengths, not to mention the climbers strengths and abilities. HO always ask about "fall protection", I always answer, falling in a clear path is one thing, falling in a tree is another, you have limbs and branches that will probably slow me down long before any fall arrest hardware would, not to mention the swing into the trunk.

I've thought about a dynamic bridge, and slightly dynamic lanyard (small amount of rope in the system).

I've used a dynamic lanyard rec climbing because "it was what I had" at the time. You're not going to notice any shock absorption with such short lengths.

Back