Dump trailer

1BUS

TreeHouser
2008 Load Trail, measures 6'8"x12' inside rail, GVWR 10400, 3 way dump gate, hide away ramps, LED lights, on board charger. If you have questions feel free to post here or PM me. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haul it with my F350 so the combined is well under 26001 and I've never had anywhere 10k on it. But that is something to keep in mind.

I found this:

"In 1990 the Federal Government regulated that all commercial drivers in our country will need a CDL when the vehicle has a GVWR
(gross vehicle weight rating) of 26,001 lbs. or more empty or loaded, air brakes or not! This requires a Class "B" license.

If the trailer is rated over 10,001 lbs. or more empty or loaded, air brakes or not & hooked to a truck weather the truck is CDL or not but together when the GVCWR (gross vehicle combination weight rating) is over 26,001 lbs. you need a Class "A" CDL.

Example 1

You have a truck that is rated for 17,500 lbs. and hook it to a trailer that is rated for 12,000 lbs. Do you need a CDL?

Yes, you need a Class "A" because together they are over 26,001 lbs.

Example 2

You have the same truck that is rated for 17,500 lbs. and hook it to a trailer that is rated for 10,000 lbs. Do you need a CDL?

No, even though they are a combination weight over 26,001 lbs. the trailer did not exceed the rating of 10,001 or more lbs.

Example 3

You have a large pick-up truck hooked to a beaver trailer rated at 20,000 lbs. Between the pick-up and the trailer you will exceed 26,001 lbs. you will need a Class "A" with an air brake restriction.

THE KEY

Is always the trailer. Focus on the trailer's GVWR. If the trailer is over 10,001 lbs. and hooked to any vehicle under 26,000 lbs. it will be a Class "A" CDL if the combined weight puts them over 26,001 lbs.

If you have a truck that is 26,000 lbs. and hook it to trailer that is exactly 10,000 lbs. rated....do you need a CDL? NO!!
Why? Because neither of the vehicles exceed the "1" lb. even though they are over the 26,000!!

"

http://cdltrainingconsultants.com/Who_Needs_a_CDL_.html

Oh I know why.... Our non CDL trucks are rated at 25999 or whatever, so a trailer over 10k is CDL A... Sorry for muddying the waters man. BAck to regular programming.

I have a Load Trail dumper as well and they are a very well built trailer. My only gripe is the batter dying when you need it so I ran some welding cables from the batteries on the truck to the motor on the trailer. Its a bit of a hassle but I never have to worry about a dead battery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, let me know and I'll PM my number

Back