Dumb Caritool Question........... Probably

Gauge

TreeHouser
Hey guys I been looking at the caritool and singing rock tool biner and I am stumped by something. They are both PLASTIC???????? Why would you make something that can hold a $500- $1000 saw plastic??? The only reason I can see is that since it is in the upright lock position it will break freely of a snag. But heck we snag on branches every day in a sticky pine or maple for that matter. I guess you should clip your saw to the middle ring that's on most saddles at the rear then clip the closer lanyard ring to the tool biner? I just don't get the plastic part.

Lot's of guys hang saw off their caritool every day. A lot won't use one for the reasons you describe. Roll the dice man.

Personally, I like the large Caritool as a saw hanger, with the caveat that the saw lanyard be clipped into a stronger textile connection elsewhere on my saddle.

It is just an accessory biner, your saw will be connected to your belt with a proper biner.... so if the caritool does break( Which happens all the time), the saw will only go as far as the end of your tool strop :)

I broke my Caritool on the first day of use on a snag .That was over 15 yrs ago and have since beene using a large alloy non lock Kong in my saddle webbing ever since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys, lol I was just looking at reviews on the Kong. I have been hooking my saw into my saddle rear D and using the small snap clip that comes on the cougar but sometimes I find it small and annoying with gloves so i was just looking at options where I didn't have to look for it yah know.

And that is exactly why so many people use, and break, and swear by the Caritool. It is always in the same orientation on the saddle, meaning it does not shift around and lay flat. I run one on each side, big and little.

Cheers.

Well shuck's they are cheap so why not. I will try a couple, better yet I will buy 1 caritool and 1 singing river and see which one breaks better LOL.

Thanks Walker, that ice tool is neat, they used 2 rods to keep them stationary.

I had lots of trouble finding a decent saw hanger for my saddle. I finally got fed up and contacted Nick Bonner at TreeStuff and asked him for his opinion on the subject. He pointed me in the direction of the small ladder snap, Caritool, or Singing Rock Porter. I decided to try the Rock Porter, due to the negative feedback on the Caritool always breaking.

My Singing Rock Porter has been with me on several climbs now. We've done about a dozen take-downs using it as our primary saddle saw hanger. No complaints. Always stays put. Easy one-handed open/close. Rapid saw clipping. A little less easy to unclip, but not a big deal.

I like it so far. It's far better than any biner I've ever tried to use, due to the fact that most carabiners tend to turn or wobble around as you're attempting to clip and unclip.

Joel

I had lots of trouble finding a decent saw hanger for my saddle. I finally got fed up and contacted Nick Bonner at TreeStuff and asked him for his opinion on the subject. He pointed me in the direction of the small ladder snap, Caritool, or Singing Rock Porter. I decided to try the Rock Porter, due to the negative feedback on the Caritool always breaking.

My Singing Rock Porter has been with me on several climbs now. We've done about a dozen take-downs using it as our primary saddle saw hanger. No complaints. Always stays put. Easy one-handed open/close. Rapid saw clipping. A little less easy to unclip, but not a big deal.

I like it so far. It's far better than any biner I've ever tried to use, due to the fact that most carabiners tend to turn or wobble around as you're attempting to clip and unclip.

Joel

Thanks, this is good for me to know also.

For the life of me I could not remember the name of the snaps my harness came with, Googled it and I am sure to a certain degree it was the BUCKINGHAM LADDER HOOK SNAPs or similar is what I used for the power saw or hand saw, wedges, etc...granted it was for a linemens's harness it worked well until I replaced it with the ice screw carabiners sewed and riveted onto the harness. It was very annoying to have the saw swinging around and smacking my leg during assent.

...make my own using Smith rod. Nice open hook , saw never drops out climbing. Easy , cheap , and custom.

I have a simple bent-gate binder taped open. If I have a lot of bobbing and weaving thru branches on occasion, I can use another clip to make the connection more secure. Very rarely, though.

I like a biner and an aluminum snap hooked to ring on saddle. solid, one hand operation, simple.

Back