Dropped my STIHL today

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 4K
W

Widow Shooter

:( Dropped my little 192 today, anybody do that? somehow the dog-snap came undone and i missed clipping the big ring?
As I climbed another 10 feet to about 75 feet and went to grasp the saw, it was not there :O So my son on the ground finds it in some brush, buried to the hilt in the ground but the powerhead being supported by leafy brush:D

I came down, and except for dirt on the bar and chain, it escaped like a champ lol, can you believe that?:P

So I came home, cleaned it up tonite and it runs fine, bar is fine and no marks, unbelievable ....STIHL makes tough stuff :)

Been a while, but I've dropped one or two saws before. Some have been from missing the saddle clip like you, some have been knocked off my saddle from limbs and brush, and I've lost a few to 'saw snatchers' when jumping off big leads(before I learned to make the top cut behind the undercut instead of in front of it). It happens. These days I make sure I have spares on the truck so work isn't impeded due to equipment failure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah, i always have 3 top handles in my rig, but it was just freaky...lol ;)

Lucky for you. Some folks jump out of planes and their chutes don't open, and somehow they survive. Best not to play the odds, though.

usaully if i miss the big ring ( which i have when not looking) the saw just drops to the bottom of the bungee; this time, both were not clipped!!!! ;) I will remember that though, would hate to see my 200 fall like that :(

if the dog snap is too small what about a keychain biner? There are rated ones from Buckingham or the cheap tourist ones that give you a weak point in the lanyard system but might catch the ring easier?
Although one whoops in hundreds or more clip ins isnt really a bellweather for a systems alteration I wouldnt think.

nope, it was the one on the weaver bungee laynard A BIG one :)

I've dropped saws more than twice. Most just had cosmetic damage. The one I dropped into the waterfall and the subsequent rocks below needed a few parts.

I dropped my 192t from 25ft once, it went down bar first, buried up to the "spikes". Cleaned it off and finished the job!

I dropped my 200t into a river. That was nice. Took it all apart and dried it with the blower. Let it sit for 30 minutes and it fired right up. I prepared for the worst though.

Of that suck FJR....Kinda had that happen wants myself.

I was falling some small trees along a creek. Had the snap hooked to my belt loop on my pants. I set the saw down to move some brush and after a bit I felt some weight and tugging at my waist line. Look down and heres my saw trolling back and forth out in the creek...:lol:...I didnt even dry it off, I said screw it, fired it back up, ran kinda rough for a while and been running it since.

my biggest fear for groundies below......the unexpected falling saw or pole saw

Lost one of the old echo top handles once, groundie looked it over, fired it up and sent it back up. 30 or 40 feet, been long enough ago I can't remember for certain

I dropped my 200T about the same distance with not so great results... better than expected though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've thrown a damn saw farther than I've dropped one.

Thats funny... Must have been a Poland.
I had a pruning saw that was afraid of heights. Run like a striped ass ape on the ground, get it in the tree and it wouldn't start. After a few times of that, end of story. mysteriously fell out of the tree and never ran again.

I had a saw fall one day and almost kill my groundie. He was hoisting the 460 into the tree from a pulley I had tethered to a branch above me. I was taking a little break watching him do all the work (for a change), when somebody shouted his name. Without even thinking he let go of the rope and turned around. Of course the saw went into freefall. Just before it hit him, he got his feet tangled in the rope and was jerked off to the side. Both the saw and my groundie narrowly survived. Now I use a mini-traxion pulley to hoist saws.

I dropped a 200T and broke the chain brake handle, the other time nothing was broken. It landed into a pile of brush.

I had a groundie tie (mis-tie, to be correct) my Stihl MS290 on a few weeks ago. It made it about halfway to me (I was at about 80 feet), came untied and had a rather ungracious landing. Busted the rear handle completely off and cracked the crank cover. $110 for a careless knot...

Back