Does sprocket size noticeably affect torque?

mrdiesel

TreeHouser
Hey all, ive been playing with my 346 with both a 7 pin sprocket and an 8 pin sprocket and im not really noticing much difference in torque during the cut. Does the affect become more noticeable on bigger saws? From the speed increase im seeing on the 346 im thinking of going bigger sprockets on my 575 and 660.

Im mainly cutting stringy bark and iron bark which are hard woods.

346 should be right at home with 325 8T. I run 3/8 7T which is about same rim size.

I think you would notice the difference in torque between 325 7-8 with a 20" buried in hardwood.

An 8 pin has 14.2% less torque than the 7 pin as well as an equal speed increase on the chain.

My 660 has dogs, 20" bar, and an 8 pin sprocket. Occasionally it'll run a 28" bar.

FWIW all my large old saws came from the factory with 8 pin .404 sprockets .Keep in mind they were made in the days of slower running but high torque engines and were primarily used on west coast old growth .The 084 also runs an 8 tooth .404 and does nicely with it on a 42" bar .

I most generally do not run 8 tooth .375 rims although the Stihl saws could handle them .One exception being a 99 cc model 2100 Husqvarna which has more than enough grunt on a 32" bar .

Right, Carl, I got confused. I meant the smaller internal spline type sprocket in 8 pin, for the rim and drum system, for a Stihl 234 or 236, for example. Haven't been able to locate one, just the 7.

Right, Carl, I got confused. I meant the smaller internal spline type sprocket in 8 pin, for the rim and drum system, for a Stihl 234 or 236, for example. Haven't been able to locate one, just the 7.

You meaning a stihl mini in 325 8?

8 pin causes us problems on our 441 with a 20". No dawgs allowed.

8 pin rips on a modded 460 with a 20"

As soon as the dogs touch the wood, the 441 bogs right down, sharp chain and relatively soft wood. It has a full comp chain. Great for limbing, not great for bucking/ felling.

As I think about it, my hopped up 460 might not be running full comp, but it likes 8 pin.

If that's the same as an 024 the number is 1121 007 1002--.325 8 pin.For that size saw it's also available in 3/8" pico or lo pro depending on how it's listed .

Thanks, but not looking for .325.

For Stihl, there is the 3/8" pitch power mate small 7 spline 7 pin rim for the 028. 029, 034, 036, and 039, plus some MS series saws. There is also the 3/8" standard 7 spline 7 and 8 pin types that fit various other models up to the 066, but that won't go on the saws that take the smaller splines. Nobody seems to make a 3/8" 8 pin rim that will fit onto the small 7 spline drum, which is what I want to put on my 034/036 mod. .

I can't remember how I did it but if I'm not mistaken the 028 Super in my shed has a normal sized spline drive on it .It seems to me the drum came off of another Stihl and I had to use a different bearing .However on the 034/036 it would have to be the one with the slot in it to drive the oil pump .Give me a day or three to check it out .Thinking out loud if that's the case perhaps with some bearing swaps the drum from an 044 might work because it has a center drive pump .

If I get a change I'll surf some IPL's .

Kevin, have you used those Danzcoinc sprockets yourself and see that they wear quicker, or is that the word on them? Are they intended for racing saws?

Thanks, Al, I was wondering if using another drum might work, but don't have a clue which might fit.

Kevin, have you used those Danzcoinc sprockets yourself and see that they wear quicker, or is that the word on them? Are they intended for racing saws?

Thanks, Al, I was wondering if using another drum might work, but don't have a clue which might fit.

I used them but only for racing and I am going by others word on the wear for a work saw.

Only one way to find out. Buy it and try them and give us feedback.

Well that's the problem I have too ,no specific knowledge .Often times I sort through buckets of parts and get a saw running from bits and pieces but have no idea what they came from except for the fact they are Stihl parts .

Thanks, Kevin. That company says nothing about their shipping policies, which almost always means that they won't ship abroad (so why even mention it in their web details?) I guess i could ask.

Maybe if the sprockets wear quick they could be better hardened?

I figure that I know the reasoning, but still, what's so mysterious about a small spline 8 pin, that the regular outfits don't want to make one? They might sell a whole half dozen in a year!

I got these pics from the feebay seller that is way to high. :O;)

standard 10T just show how they are.

9tt.JPG 9t.JPG

Back