Does it ever blow your mind

No.

I smoked some really strong weed, that blew my mind. Taking 2 ecstasy pills at the same time after a 15 year hiatus. That really blew my mind.
Dating a really beautiful woman who suffered from BPD was kind of mindblowing. Going to 380# on deadlifts blew a blood vessel in my head. That could definitely be considered mind = blown. ...

Tree services with stuff? Meh.
I have only done two of those things...though there was the night at Red Rocks where I somehow wound up with mushrooms AND acid in my system / mind at once, it was an accident

how many tree services which are "small" (just 1, or maybe a couple locations, not multiple offices or national) own their own cranes and log trucks and heavy equipment.

Somehow I've always been under the impression that most tree services are small, like 3-5 guys, bucket truck, etc., but the more I surf the tree inter webs, the more it seems like large, very well equipped companies are commonplace.

Just saying.

I guess the reason I find it surprising is cuz I think of tree removal as a highly skilled process, regularly fraught with potential pitfalls large and small, all accomplished for frequently paltry sums of money, and the idea of sending out legions of guys to get it done, on a daily basis, just seems hard to fathom. But I apparently don't fully capiche

I think the web is fooling you. I think members of the bigger and more thriving companies also tend to find themselves very interested in the work itself and as a result, on the internet. I think......

Provide a quality service to the consumer and you have a fast growing company. Incorporate branding, certified people, and a great customer service and you can grow big. Customers (at least the market that you should be targeting) want the phone answered now, reliability, and quality workmanship. They do not care about price.

If you have the equipment to do the job in less time than your competitors, should you charge less than them?

You must have better subs by you than I have here. Some nice guys up here but I wouldn't want to rely on them for my livelihood. That was a huge reason I started my company... I was absolutely sick and tired of depending on yahoo's so that I could get my paycheck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
All interesting responses, fellas.

Nick speaks with the knowledge of being part of one of those large companies. Nick, your age is listed as 20, that is extremely young to have one's own tree co with employees, while attending school at the same time. And now you are part of a larger company. How did you achieve all that at your age? :thumbup:

If they are making the same profit, isn't it still a $3000 tree? I could be inefficient as all get out, and try to get my regular hourly.

I don't plan to drop prices because I can bring in a crane. I want to raise prices if I HAVE to bring in a crane.

If you are inefficient the it costs you more money to do the same job thus it is less profitable. Even if you bid it man hours based on an inefficient time frame, you still won't be able to compete with the guys who can do it in half the time with way less labor costs and still generate more profit percentage wise even if their bid was actually lower than yours. That's the beauty of having the right equipment.

Jp:d

I think the thing about being "big" is that for many people it's a matter of choice, you get a tipper,chipper and grinder and things are going ok, making a very nice living, then you say to yourself "I could get some more gear and get bigger jobs, hire more guys" then you think "whats the point?" I can control everything nicely, not leave the house in crappy weather, small payments (if any) not do the sort of jobs you hate.
I think that is why so many tree firms are one gang outfits. there will always be room for the little guy, for those that want to take over the world, fill your boots.

Back