Do you have a minimum height...

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
For wearing a harness and/or helmet in a bucket?

I was pruning a hedge today...max 12'...sometimes down to 8'...I was PPE'd properly...would you ever consider not wearing either at 'low elevation'?

I wouldn't skip it no matter what height. I know of a fellow who died in a 6 foot fall from the first limb.

I will go un harnessed up to 20' depending on what the landing looks like. Generally speaking I am super comfortable up to 15' however beyond that I get a bit worried. This comes mostly from my time bouldering (climbing short rock walls with just a small pad and some spotters). I actually really enjoy pruning small trees like crab apples, young red maples, jap maples, magnolias etc without my saddle; just me and my handsaw.

Depending on what type of helmet you wear it may not makes sense, if you wear a standard hard hat with no chin strap then it wontt do you any good in a fall anyway, so hey forget it. If you wear a climbing helmet that offers some side, back protection than why not. In most cases my hard hat/helmet is on to protect me from stuff thats falling, not from me hitting my head.

Thats my .02

I wouln't skip it no matter what height. I know of a fellow who died in a 6 foot fall from the first limb.

No arguing with that, obviously safety sense agrees, but we all make up our own minds. In my case I take way bigger risks in everyday life than a 6' fall so its all relative.

Right you are, I dont see any reason to not wear it in a bucket since it doesnt restrict your mobility. You also have to consider the risk of mechanical failure in which case the harness and helmet could be helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The kind of hedge I was doing would normally be done by a guy on a 10' A frame ladder with a machete, no cones, no high viz, hanging on with one hand smoking a cigarette...

hanging on with one hand smoking a cigarette...

w053xf.jpg

Well, some times it feels nice not to wear a helmet...

How I work is SO different from the normal landscapers, guess I'm asking is there ever a middle ground between the full on PPE, and the wear nothing and trust in blind luck when height is not very high working out of a bucket with hand tools?

...but Butch, look at all the PPE you've got on!

...and your harness, and your rope and your gloves....haha

I second the professionalism. Looking like you know what your doing is important to folks. Especially when you have a shit eating grin on your face with a big chainsaw!!!

This.

Helmets are on 100% of the time. I don't care if its raking, pruning a 2' shrub, or tying your shoes.

Yep! The only time helmets are off is when the guys are out of the work zone. As far as a harness goes in the bucket, all the time, I even clip in before I climb in.

The kind of hedge I was doing would normally be done by a guy on a 10' A frame ladder with a machete, no cones, no high viz, hanging on with one hand smoking a cigarette...

We had to help a former apprentice of mine out with his backload of jobs this summer after his orchard ladder fell over and he got his arm chewed up BADLY in the hedge trimmer.

Also, when I broke my back back in 83, it was from a 9 foot fall.

So my answer to your question is that we always wear the full outfit, regardless of height.

We had to help a former apprentice of mine out with his backload of jobs this summer after his orchard ladder fell over and he got his arm chewed up BADLY in the hedge trimmer.

What PPE would have prevented that?

When I went to visit my colleague in hospital after he broke his leg, the patient in the next bed fell backwards off the bottom rung of a ladder and hit the back of his head on a curb. They weren't expecting him to ever come out of his coma.

Chainsaw protective jacket!

Stupid example, I know. It was just because Fi wrote that it was normally done by a guy on a ladder, so I wanted to point out that even that is fraught with danger

Some of the larger more H&S conscious organisations that I have worked for here are now insisting on chainsaw trousers being worn while hedge cutting, probably won't be long before they want chainsaw jackets too.

I believe OSHA says at least fall arrest at 14 feet ... I used to free climb smalls all the time .... until a White Birch handhold branch broke at eight feet costing me a really sore back for awhile. Put me in with the pros who always use my gear, even Apple trees ! ... you only get one strong able body issued, why risk it. Dave

Back