did a tree climbing demo

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 36
  • Views 4K
W

Widow Shooter

yesterday, I did a tree climbing demo at the Limerick forest open house that was being held to celebrate the opening of the new Chalet/interpretive centre.

Since it was built with money from Ontario's economic action plan, there were lots of high ranking political and municipal officials. All of the papers were there, and TV.

I rigged a sample rigging area, an SRT line and a DdRT line in a big sugar maple.

In front of a good crowd, I SRT-ed (frog-walker system) flawlessly to 60 feet, lanyard-ed in, switched over to DdRT and proceeded to do some long limbwalks, big swings to get to other limbs 25 feet away, did a bat hang, and a bit of dead-wooding:D

I then descended, and my son Josh lowered a 150# piece of maple into the exact spot on the ground I told them it would go, smooth and soft! it was awesome!

local papers were there, interviewed and photographed me doing the climbing, and local TV filmed me ...this could be good for bizz!
Even the local big-money-long established-crooked- removal HACK company owner was there, he did not watch me climb though, I loudly stated to the onlookers that there are some "big" operations who let their climbers still spur up and down prunes, and who top trees regularly...;) and this is a no-no, never mentioned names though, that would be rude...:evil:

I came down, answered a bunch of questions, gave basic tree advice, handed out a lot of cards, and even did an impromptu footlocking ascent8)

Weather was really cold, clear and sunny, perfect day for climbing.

had a big table with tons of gear laid out, lots of curious onlookers were checking it out and asking me what stuff was used for.

I'm a big promoter of Limerick Forest becoming more known and utilized, it is a 15,000 acre plot of land that was farmed and dust-bowled by Irish immigrants due to cutting all of the trees down in an area of sandy soil.

the Govt' took it over in the 1940's , planted over a million red pines, white pines and spruce, it is gorgeous now.

the new chalet was built from red pine logs locally harvested, the floors are white pine locally grown too :) very cool stuff.

will add pics when i get some, hopefully a link to some video :)

Good deal. Many times it takes doing more than just our regular pruning and removals for homeowners in order to build a business. Stuff like this goes a long ways towards making you successful in the long run.

You show-off!! Sounds like you did it just right...a good variety of skills, equipment and expertise to "wow" the masses.

Good show.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
kinda, i got paid to deadwood and prune the maple a bit to allow the new sign for the centre to be seen :) here is a link to the video, a few short clips of me, it was cool, i was talking to the crowd as I was climbing, he did not get any swinging shots though..:( http://www.brocknews.ca/index.php?o...n-sunday-video&catid=44:local-news&Itemid=162

it was a bit different, climbing and trying to explain stuff to the people at the same time, but I took my time and tried to show how it is done. :)

Nice one!!!

...all the bits of kit laid out, and the comments on spiking and topping...I reckon that really shows up the difference between you and the hacks or landscapers with ladders!

I've been asked to do a spot for the local Gummint TV channel CITV,on Friday.
Health and Safety with chainsaws focus, PPE, work at heights...I'm going to steal some ideas from you!

Nice Cary. A critique on your SRT, your left leg seems to not get it's share of work. Probably a bit of tweaking, maybe a bungee or some such may help out

yeah, i did not have the strap quite short enuff...;) fixed it after the demo :)

:lol: Well Mindy, he should have. At least when you climb, you don't look like ya got a gimpy leg!:lol: The video link was pretty funny!

bah!!!....my footloop was too long man....;) it is the right length now Brent....:dance::dance:

Back