Deodar Cedars

Ken395XP

TreeHouser
Hi all
Been a while since I've been on a tree forum....

I recently bought a house with two Deodar Cedars in front. The one on the right is not doing too well. From what I could tell it looks like the grade was raised around the tree. As I was digging around the flair I heard a hollow spot when I hit the tree with the shovel. I took off all the loose bark and you can see what I found in the pics.

I'm looking for suggestions on saving the tree. I currently have the base wrapped in a mesh tarp to block some of the sun since I'm in Southern CA and it gets a lot of afternoon sun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated......

Thanks image.jpg

Ken, from ny? Cutting a spar from being tied into the overhead cable lines? Or am i thinking someone differently?

Looks like they are living on stored energy. Look completely screwed down below. Too much added base soil for too long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got out of tree work around 2007 and moved to Los Angeles around 5 years ago...

Good idea to remove dirt, and to cover rotted area. I'd consider rinsing off all the dirt and attaching innertube-thickness rubber to it (with staples). thats been known to encourage callus to form. it's a longshot but what else you gonna do?

the suggested soil aeration sounds good too, considering the fill.

Fwiw, we have a lot of cedars dying round here and IME once they're on their way there is little point in trying to save them as they never recover any sort of natural form, so close to the house plus you have another one to "enjoy"

Yo Ken, long time no see! Hope you're well. And the trees survive. I love cedrus, which thrive in the PNW. I remember them from my time in So Cal, and that they didn't do as well in the hot dry climate.

One 372 is doing well, and the 357---a beast! But the near race 372 and 200T were stolen, along with scads of other saws and gear...multiple events by two or more drug addict ex-employees. who deserve to beat over the head by any one of the lifted saws, while running....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey RB, glad the saws are still doing well that was like 6 years ago. Sorry about the theft, that sucks.
Sad thing is, I don't even own a saw these days....
The Deodar's usually do pretty well where I'm at. We're in Altadena which is an odd microclimate for LA. Our lot has over a dozen fruit tree's, green house etc.
We are one block over from Christmas tree lane http://www.christmastreelane.net/history.html

I poured a bunch of vermiculture "tea" around the base and will be using vermicompost and horse manure to fertilize.
I'm looking for a good local arborist to get an opinion and thoughts.

I lived in Pasadena, Ken.... and went to Ambassador College. 1967-72

My sis and her family lived in Altadena, then Pasadena just south of the college. she now lives a couple towns to the east.

Nick, a member here, might offer some good advice.... he lives somewhere in the area.

Nick Araya is near you I think..."NickfromWI" in another life.

If the tree has fungal issues you might wanna go easy on the fert?

Hey RB, glad the saws are still doing well that was like 6 years ago. Sorry about the theft, that sucks.
Sad thing is, I don't even own a saw these days....
The Deodar's usually do pretty well where I'm at. We're in Altadena which is an odd microclimate for LA. Our lot has over a dozen fruit tree's, green house etc.
We are one block over from Christmas tree lane http://www.christmastreelane.net/history.html

I poured a bunch of vermiculture "tea" around the base and will be using vermicompost and horse manure to fertilize.
I'm looking for a good local arborist to get an opinion and thoughts.

Back