Daily Stretching & Exercising

Having my muscles warmed before strenuous activity is a habit I've had since high school athletics. Particularly in cold weather I believe it can prevent injuries.

In the morning, I may do a bit of stretching, walking, etc. 'till I feel warmed up enough to hit it hard.

Evenings I do quite a bit of stretching in small doses of whatever seems to be stiff, until I feel relaxed.

I try not to tie my bootlaces before I've walked around a bit. It's a long way down, and getting further every year.

I know the importance of stretching, I've done it and felt great. Problem is i cant get myself to consistently take the time in the morning to do so. Im just gun hoe to get in the truck, in the tree, saddled up, and back on the ground.

Ive been wanting to get a road bike this year, going to try to do possibly early morning rides to warm up the body. I got a shit ton of stuff done last year and hoping to train myself in getting more relaxed this time around.

I was a gymnast in my younger days, we would do one hour of stretching in a three practice. Uber important.

So this brings up something interesting in my head.
Does a woman feel like she scored good hooking up with a male gymnast like a guy would feel if he hooked up with a girl gymnast?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies from everyone especially Gary! I am going to give a good read on Bando Yoga. I am trying to make 2014 the healthiest year of my life so far. I have a mandatory ceu class to maintain my license. The class is "Arborist as Athelete's". I quit smoking as of New Years Eve but today slipped up and had one but that is for another thread. Thanks guys and girls for your thoughts and ideas!

In line with the massage for me is acupuncture. This is hands down the most effective method of healing/restoration that I have found (when compared to the time invested). Surprisingly a lot of ins. policies also will cover acupuncture and massage. Chi is real!!!!

Wow, that looks like a crazy setup Butch! Have you tried multiple practitioners? The first place I went to it hurt like hell with no major benefit. I recently found a guy that is a real PRO, no speaky no english, that's a sign of a good acupuncturist IMO.

We only have one here. He was cool - he said he'd do three treatments and if it didn't work I only had to pay for one.

Ok I was just reading the" optimal climbing weight thread" and didn't want to derail. So I thought I would start this thread even though their are similar threads going. Looking for videos, pics, tips on stretching before your climb. Also any daily excercise you may do that has helped you guys and girls stay fit? Thanks in advance!
Mark

Basically what I have been doing. Looking for injury prevention and ability to stay flexible.
I have zero personal desire to spend time on this in life. However, that will result in me being unable to work and crawling to the bathroom within a few weeks.

Out of necessity and to keep in functioning form I do 15 min. of ‘pandiculation’ each day.

I bought Somatics, but haven't done any reading. Books are a bit to me like exercise equipment to many, a good intention, buried under new things that come up.

I do intend to read it.

Acupunture treatment in the AM. I didn't find much noticeable improvement, but it could also be like what I call the Lighthouse effect. If the lighthouse wasn't used, you'd know how many ship did crash, but when it is used, you never know what it would have been like without it.

Hydration, Hydration, Hydration. I've been bad these last few months. I was much better hydrated in Nevada than in western Washington. Funny that.

Hi everybody. I'm new here and fairly new to treework (side job), but I thought I'd post on this topic as I might be some help. My wife is a physical therapist, and she got her doctorate only 2 years ago and she stays on top of the latest research and techniques.

That being said, I've learned a lot from her... I do a lot of endurance activities outside of work and her advice has always been helpful.

First thing to remember is everyone is naturally different in their baseline flexibility. Her muscles and tendons are so loose naturally, she can bend her elbow past 180 degrees. I'm the exact opposite... for instance when I try to spread open my hand as far as it will go my fingers all still have a slight inward curl to them.

Despite that, static streching can benefit everyone from the injury pervention point of view. Stretching before work is not necessarily beneficial. Static stretching, with the goal of lengthening muscles, tendons and connective tissue to prevent chronic injury, is best done with warm muscles that are pliable and capable of being stretched beyond their current working length. Beginning of a lunch break would be a good time, after the day is over is good, even after a warm shower.

There was one study done on a group of marathoners that showed athletes who routinely stretched before activity actually had a higher rate of injury than those who didn't stretch at all. The lowest incidence of injury was in athletes who stretched after exercising.

For tree climbing, I'd say evaluate and focus on hamstrings, IT bands, quads, groin, back and pectorals in particular. Those I'm willing to bet are fairly tight on anyone who doesn't stretch routinely. Tight IT bands are a very common cause of lots of kinds of chronic knee pain/inflamation. If you haven't ever heard of or seen someone use a foam roller for doing myofascial release, basically self massage, look it up. Can be also be a very effective and cheap tool for injury prevention.

Anyway, hope that info helps someone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to the house Marc! My name is Mark but with the K obviously. Glad yours is spelled differently. Lol Anyway thanks a bunch for posting what you did. I dont want to be in chronic pain because of my work that is why I started this thread. I have heard the same thing about stretching when you are not warmed up it is not good. Couldn't remember where I heard that. Glad you posted this info and again welcome! Stick around you will learn allot :)

Good input, MarcM. I dug a bit and found this interesting...a good discussion of ranges of flexibility (which you mentioned) and stretching and warm-ups.

It states "that stretching increases short-term flexibility, a potential benefit to athletes involved in sports that require extended range of motion, like whitewater kayaking or rock climbing, and a likely—though unproven—means to mitigate injury if you are unusually inflexible." And I will add...like treeclimbing.

from http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/2008/outandfit/pre-exercise-stretching.cfm

WORKING STIFF? Foremost among these difficulties is determining how an athlete’s flexibility and injury risk are related. “We know from military studies that those that are least flexible and most flexible have the highest injury rate,” Gilchrist explains. “That would theoretically indicate that a normal range of flexibility is important for injury prevention.” Dr. Ed Zambraski, military performance division chief at the U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine in Natick, Mass., concurs. “People with low or high flexibility are more likely to become injured. But studies haven’t really looked at these particular groups.” Numerous studies have demonstrated, however, that stretching increases short-term flexibility, a potential benefit to athletes involved in sports that require extended range of motion, like whitewater kayaking or rock climbing, and a likely—though unproven—means to mitigate injury if you are unusually inflexible.

GETTING WARMER Ed McNeely is the co-founder of Strength Pro, a sports consulting business, and has worked with 17 different Canadian national teams, including rowing, biathlon, and cycling. Like many professional trainers, he remains convinced that pre-exercise stretching has its benefits. “There are two purposes for stretching: for warm-up and for flexibility. Stretching won’t prevent joint or skeletal injury,” McNeely claims. “But there’s quite a bit of good evidence that stretching can help prevent muscular injury.” Despite the lack of conclusive science supporting this assertion, McNeely does have a point. Research has shown that a good pre-exercise warm-up—which can include stretching as one of its components—can be beneficial. The key is to realize that stretching by itself doesn’t count as a full warm-up.

JUST DO IT To warm up properly, you need to get your heart pumping through a low-intensity cardio activity that focuses on the muscles appropriate to your intended activity. “A good warm-up raises your heart rate and increases blood flow to your muscles through the range of motion you expect to need,” Gilchrist explains. “Warm-ups have been shown to prevent injuries. If you only have five minutes, it might be more important to focus on a really good warm-up than to focus on the muscles.” As part of the process, McNeely advocates a slow start to your activity. “Work into it easy. Spend the first 5-10 minutes going at 75 percent of pace you plan on using.” But all this advice doesn’t mean you should stop stretching, especially if it’s something you enjoy. “There’s no negative effect to stretching,” Zambraski notes. “Even if it doesn’t change the injury rate, it’s sort of like, ‘If it doesn’t hurt me, I’m going to do it.’”

Back