Daily Stretching & Exercising

Sean, Don’t read the book, just read the five stories in the first 40 pages. Then you will either be ready to recycle it or use it as best meets your needs. Motivation is everything.

Not seeing the avatar thing - thanks.

MarcM welcome.

Good input, MarcM. I dug a bit and found this interesting...a good discussion of ranges of flexibility (which you mentioned) and stretching and warm-ups.

It states "that stretching increases short-term flexibility, a potential benefit to athletes involved in sports that require extended range of motion, like whitewater kayaking or rock climbing, and a likely—though unproven—means to mitigate injury if you are unusually inflexible." And I will add...like treeclimbing.

from http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/2008/outandfit/pre-exercise-stretching.cfm

Hi Pantheraba, I know from being around other athletes the issue of stretching before exercise can be a contentious issue. I do know that I myself am "unusually inflexible," as bad as one can be probably, but here's a counterpoint to the advice that pre work stretching can elongate muscles to prevent injury during work-

I know in my own case, a bit of stretching does not elongate anything any meaningful amount. It's only over the course of months and even years that consistant stretching with warm muscles actually increases my range of motion by a measurable amount. It's really the difference between wam and cold muscles that makes any immediate difference in my range of motion, so I make sure I warm up first, but I don't stretch first, only after.

And maybe a bit paradoxically, it's been my experience that overly tight muscles can actually help prevent injuries from overextension in that I often start to feel I'm at the limit of my range of motion before I go far enough to sprain or damage any tendons/ligaments/connective tissue. I ski and hike and do a number of activites where injuries are common from over extension and it happens to me very rarely. Contrast that with my wife, who as I mentioned before, has very loose muscles; she has real problems with things like rolling her ankle because by the time she gets feedback from her muscles that she's overextending, it's too late for her connective tissue. Me on the other hand, will have felt pain and corrected long before... probably by falling over :D

Anyway, that's my take on stretching. I'm glad you went off to find other information/data; I encourage anyone who works as an 'industrial athlete' and is dependent on being healthy for their livelihood to do the same thing- read and learn. Don't just trust what someone tells you, verify it for yourself!

And thanks everyone for the warm welcomes! I'm an Arborist Site refugee in case anyone was wondering.

Sean, Don’t read the book, just read the five stories in the first 40 pages. Then you will either be ready to recycle it or use it as best meets your needs. Motivation is everything.

Not seeing the avatar thing - thanks.

MarcM welcome.

I thought that there was going to be an easy step by step process to tell you. Who can direct Merle and MarcC to posting an Avatar Pic, if they are inclined?

MarcM, you make a good point about being too flexible. I have seen problems from that, too. Another quote from that site:

"Research has shown that a good pre-exercise warm-up—which can include stretching as one of its components—can be beneficial. The key is to realize that stretching by itself doesn’t count as a full warm-up."

I think that a good warm up is very important rather than just starting out working with "cold" muscles. Stretching alone is not enough. There needs to be a balance of strength and flexibility for proper joint protection. The way I view it, the muscles support the joints and ideally help prevent tendons from being overtaxed or overused.

And another important component is proper body mechanics to protect joints when working...understanding how force should be applied to/through a joint can make for better work positioning and longevity (e.g., bucking a log from one knee rather than leaning over and straining the back muscles, tendons and ligaments from poor positioning.)

Another part of taking care of your body is a good bed.

I went bed shopping recently. Get this...your bed doubles in weight over 10 years, body oil, skin cells, ETC.

My back has been a little wacked lately, and I realized that the bed will probably make a huge difference. I had a girlfriend that had a bad back for years until she ditched her futon.

This probably applies to shoulders and hips, too.

I just got a kettle bell, always wanted to try them. Anyone here care to weigh in (ha) on KBs?

I was swinging around dumbbells, it felt good, I figured I'd try the real thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0123a-sport-injuries.htm

Good find Gary. I got tennis elbow awhile back and found some videos on Youtube that helped me. Simple stretches with my wrist helped. Also read that when you grip things make sure you thumb goes around and not straight. I found while driving I wasn't wrapping my thumbs around the steering wheel. Being under stress made it worse. Focusing on relaxing while doing anything helped me as well.

The pistol grip lever of the bucket I fly is really starting to cripple my hands, especially the left. I need a bucket with lever controls.

The pistol grip lever of the bucket I fly is really starting to cripple my hands, especially the left. I need a bucket with lever controls.

I was getting the same thing this past summer Butch. My boss advised that whenever possible I should turn around and fly the bucket with my opposite hand. It took some getting used to, but certainly did help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you wrapping your thumb around it? Also remember like I said focusing on relaxing. I am no expert just know what helped me.

Butch if you’re looking for something and if you are looking for something specific there is a book called, Pain Free at Your PC by Pete Egoscue. It deals specifically with the dynamic that is set up when we isolate the muscles in our hands and use them in repetitive ways (tending in the direction of carpal tunnel syndrome.)

Egoscue’s info. and exorcises is what I used for about 12 years to keep my muscles in tree working form and what I would still use today if I hadn’t found Somatics which produces that result in a quarter the time and more easily.

Back