Cycling (bicycles)

• Thread starter Knotahippie
  • Start date
  • Replies 185
  • Views 16K
I have a young bodybuilder friend who's a cycling enthusiast. He rides with the traffic, just like he's in a car - obeying all stoplights and whutnot.

He's usually on the bumper of the vehicle in front of him. Ha.

That's a good point, MB, keeping up with traffic is the sign of a cyclist, riding wisely and harmoniously at speeds, and not just someone on a bike. Cyclists should be courteous to drivers, and not think that they can ride and block traffic. When I said that cyclists have priority, I meant where the road narrows or other places where the car or bicycle has to yield. I often give the sign to cars to go ahead of me where the law says that I should go first. Drivers particularly seem to appreciate when a person on a bicycle extends them courtesy.

understandable, often though, most of the time actually, the shoulders are filled with rocks, potholes, and broken glass. I try not to be a jerk on a bike but sometimes it is so hard when people act like I shouldn't be there at all.

In places where the people making the laws are cyclists themselves, you will find a lot friendlier environment for riding. My area gets a lot of tourists, so there are a number of rent-a-bike places. There are also the more regular riders from the big cities, particularly the mad house of Tokyo, that will come up this way to ride. I see a lot of opportunity in this, lodges that cater to cyclists, etc., but there isn't a one. I suggest it to people that have bed and breakfast affairs and might be complaining about business with the sick economy, but so far nothing has developed. People that buy $5000 bikes are obviously not poor, can easily pay for supportive lodgings. There is one cycling road that takes you through to a larger town about twenty kilometers away. It is a pleasant ride with no cars, but the path isn't very well maintained. There should be more of these paths, but like the lodge owners, the people in local government don't ride themselves, so any suggestions about creating more pleasant conditions for riders, and the benefits that it will bring to everyone, falls on pretty much deaf ears. Riding to them is little more than being out of breath and their legs aching on a little incline, so they don't do it, and can't understand it. So many people feel the need to get in cars to go to the market five minutes away, where doing it on a bike would be serving themselves much better. Serving the planet better too. There is a direct correlation between cycling and having a more peaceful demeanor, and on a large scale that has very positive implications. For now, it is like a secret cult of riders that only know this. A spandex cult?

You can count me as one of the guys that hugs the shoulder instead of "trying to be visible". For every how many drivers that see you a few seconds sooner by riding in the middle of the lane there's always one that is looking off to the side and not looking at you in the slightest. I'll even ride far to the right with a full shoulder. I had a good friend riding on a shoulder get plowed by a cable company van when the driver over-reacted to an oncoming truck that was on the centerline. He survived, but basically lost two years of his life in rehab.

I've had a pop bottle tossed deliberately at me, cracked a vertebrae in my back. I was riding with my wife at the time and thought she came up and slapped me on the back, had no idea what actually happened until the guy was far down the road.

Had my handlebars hooked by someone driving with an open sliding van door. They were going a similar speed and I managed to get out of it without going down, but I have no idea how I managed to do it.

Of course, I've never done anything dumb myself.....:D

Last edited:
Riding at might is a whole different ballgame. I ride home from my shop in the dark, usually leaving after 7PM. I have definitely observed that cars approaching from behind will begin to apply their brakes considerably earlier with a flashing rear light, compared to just having the plain reflector. Something I do on narrow roads, and there are a lot of those here, is to move out from the shoulder kind of abruptly, somewhat towards the middle of the lane, when a car is approaching from the rear and can see me, then I quickly swing back to the shoulder. I don't do it when the car is close enough that I will interfere with their passing, or cause them to have to abruptly brake, it is just a way to better inform that a bicycle is ahead. I think it raises some doubt in the approaching car driver's head as to how well in control the person on the bicycle ahead is. I believe it makes the drivers more cautious in passing. I consider it defensive riding for a little added safety margin. Not done at a close distance where the driver will freak out, but the person on the bike...who knows....possibly elderly, or drunk, or both! :\: Lots of elderly folks here still ride bikes, as in years gone by, and their handling can be a little loose. It's a trick that plays with the car operator's mind, and I consider anything that makes things safer as ok, as long as there is no big inconvenience or no panic involved. Got to survive in the kill zones.

lcr69.jpg

Maybe it's just me...but choosing a form of transport that requires that level of defense, and has the history of encounters described earlier, sure seems odd.

Probably that's my old self speaking...my younger self rode bicycles quite a lot :).

It's a relatively bike-friendly town here, but I still prefer to ride at night. Just a lot less cars to deal with, plus I don't like breathing all the vehicle exhaust. I wear a bright yellow jacket and helmet cover, and have lights all over.

I have lived in other cities where drivers would try to buzz you just as a joke, so I totally sympathize with those who don't want to ride out in traffic.

Bikes are definitely a legit way to travel. Personally, I have logged over 100,000 kilometers during the years commuting to my shop.

Kevin, I think it is pretty hard to point a finger directly at either party in the bikes vs cars conflict. I once rode through downtown Tokyo, including an area I think of as a human swamp, given the people and auto congestion. I was quite surprised at the very apparent courtesy of the drivers there, generally more so than in the rural location where I live. Now that there has been a bike boom, and a lot more cyclists using the roads in the cities, I hear of a lot more aggression going on, described to me mostly as a result of the bike riders not following the rules. It is really unfortunate that cyclists have spoiled it for themselves. It is hard enough for car drivers there under the best of circumstances, and with all the bikes now, it seems to have maxed out their generally more yielding temperament.

My main road in and out of here is 6 lanes for traffic, a seperate bus road and a bike road with two marked lanes.

Guess where some bike riders choose to ride?

On the main road, about the most used and busiest road in the country. Dickheads, they always stuff things up for the good guys. :(

I agree with you that bikers can be assholes, myself included on occasion, and I apologize. I think part of the problem though and what this article brings to light is that bikers are not taken seriously by urban planners, politicians, and law enforcement. One time on a snowy day when the snowplows had piled the shoulder with snow and slush, I had to ride a little further out in the road. A cop came up and demanded that I get on the sidewalk, not possible so I laughed it off and continued riding, he came back around read me the riot act and gave me a ticket. It was funny because legally I have every right in the world to ride in the street. I actually received a note of apology a few weeks later by the same cop who went home and did some research on the subject. I still have his note.
The problem is that the planners and the politicians have their cars and have no idea of the benefits of the two wheeled lifestyle. I think the Dutch maybe the exception. If Bikes are taken seriously and factored into the planning of a city, than a lot of these bad interactions would be eliminated. I read an article about how the Chinese, embarrassed by their low tech bike culture have eliminated bike routes and built super highways where cars now sit in 12 hour traffic jams regularly. Sad.

Sometimes, bike paths will be built but they are built for walkers and family outings as well. A biker going at a reasonable speed on these "bike paths" can be quite hazardous. This is another effect of bikes being viewed as purely a leisure activity.

...mostly as a result of the bike riders not following the rules...

This is my main beef with road cyclists, one minute they want you to give them a space on the road itself (although they are doing 30km and the posted speed is 60km etc) and treat them as a vehicle the next they are blowing through 4 way stops and going through an intersection on a red light cause they got tired of waiting and there wasnt much traffic coming from the left or right. Many of our main roads now have a 4 foot wide bike lane but it isnt too hard to find some yahoo in tour de france spandex riding in the car lane to go get his Starbucks fix.

The urban planners not riding a bike for their own interest, has a lot to do with the inadequacy in their scope of what would be the most ideal situation to come up with to both suit cars and bicycles. My area in terms of scenery, is ideal for cycling, and could be a big draw to help alleviate the local economy problem resulting from the huge decline in tourism in the area. As a resident with no connection to it, I'm not keen on tourism, but just viewing the practical, I see that it could be a huge lift to a lot of businesses. No cycling roads whatsoever. It is pretty hard to conceptualize about the needs of cyclists if you don't ever get on a bike yourself. That is the case with the many workers at the city office, with barely any bikes parked there used by the workers to commute. Very archaic in their thinking on how to incorporate cycling into the local economy. Most people that don't ride at all, pretty much just consider it to be a pita. I tell local inn owners that complain about bad business, that setting up their place to be accommodating to cyclists would be a great plus, and they could be the first! Never happens... they never get on a bike themselves.

It might be Holland where they have loaner bikes, I think for free. You pick one up at some station, make your way to your destination, then drop off the bike at the closest loaner station. Something along those lines. Pretty forward thinking it occurs, if they have worked out the logistics.

I ride in heavy traffic at times. I dont care that I have the right to use the whole lane. It's good to be smart about ones use of their rights.

I started Cyclocross racing again. I really like it. It can be football on a bike at times. No fancy bike here, 25 year old Nishiki. I have a race coming up I hope to have a helmut cam so I can post a vid of it.
Some of the barriers & such I am not the quickest at because of the 8- 12 screws & steel plate in my foot & no right knee cap. But I still have a great time hacking away at it.

Cyclocross, well it's different depending on where the race is. But for the most part it is done on a road type bike with bit bigger tires & includes pavement, mud,hills so steep you have to shoulder your bike to get to the top. There are also barriers such as logs. You go all out, as hard as you can for an hour in some casses
I placed 14th in a a field of over 50 racers in my last race. Against much younger fellas on some supposedly better, outragously expensive bikes. Riding a bike has helped greatly with my mobility & range of motion. It was said I would not walk with out crutches or use of a cane.

A bicycle is a fantastic way of staying in shape. Cardio,legs & if one spends some time out of the saddle going hard it does good for the core as well!

25 years ago I used to race cross as my team wanted me to. I was pretty good at it because I can ride flat out from the gun but I really hated it. I despise being cold and wet and that is all cross is in Europe......

Back