Cutting Oak

1,5mm = .059" ????? That's quite a bite is it not ?

Steve
Yes it can be too much. It is several factors that decide if this work or not.
Fibers property's, power, chain type, Degree of sharpness, handling, amount of ware on the chain etc

The saw i use is 75cc, 20" bar, 58APLG. If it is Elm I have less, beech too.

It is easy to see and feel if it is wrong. Looking on the tie straps and feel of vibration tells a bit.
It should never be aggressive or vibrate. Wear on back side of tie strap show low setting or sitting on it thru the cuts.

You can not compensate a not so good filing with low depth guage setting.
If it isn't really sharp it will not cut either way. Rip perhaps, but not cut.

If setting is too low it will be a stick in front of tooth that leave a lot of air, unused space. If it is correct the fiber will curl up in a roll in front of tooth and when full break of and get a ride out the log in to air.

To actually see this is not easy.
Sides of the cut should be as even as possible, almost as it was sanded. If it is rugged and uneven there is often power lost and friction from the tooth wanting to travel sideway's.
I had a pic of this when chain cut transparent plastic, but I can't find it...
I stopped in cut of a thin disc and broke it of to see how it looked. This work in some cases and conditions, but is not easy and be prepared to cut a couple discs.

I don't do anything different no matter what I'm cutting .Except after the chain has "opened" a tad from filing I take the gullets down to the tie straps but try and maintain about 25 thou of the raker depths the entire usefull life of the chain .

Back