curious about firewood prices elsewhere

Altissimus

TreeHouser
Years ago when I started 100 dollar cords cut, split, and delivered was going rate, full size log truck loads were 350 bucks (pun intended) ... now that cord is two hundred, the log load is seven hundred ... I believe diesel prices are responsible. I know New England is wood heat country but I often wonder about prices in other locales

$200-$225.00 Oak split & delivered not stacked. Pine... $100-$150.... Cedar $175-$200. But we are where there is as much wood as you want to harvest if you are willing to do the work. Most don't :lol:

Good hardwood ,ash,oak ,hickory somewhere around a 150 a cord .Ya gotta remember where I'm at though .Bigger cities like Columbus ,Cleveland etc. it's probabley more .

250/cd for good stuff is fair around here, but of course some folks sell lesser quality, billed as good stuff, for $160, etc.

I blew out some nice stuff for $150 recently, about 10 cord. I needed to move the pile so I can spread more gravel and set up a nicer storage area. I wasn't trying to get top dollar, just wanted it moved. I'll probably go up to $200 when I get back to splitting.

Prices are down here. $175 a cord cut, split and delivered, for oak and madrone. I've seen madrone go for $250 here and over $300 on the coast. A log truck load of it runs 8-900

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As far as species, I live up high mostly Sugar Maple, Ash, and Cherry ... also quite a bit of. Beech and Yellow Birch ... the lessers are Soft Maple and White Birch which can only be a small percentage of the load .. the Red Oaks are only near the rivers till you drop a few hundred feet in elevation

I think it's $225-250 a cord split/delivered for Doug fir here. About the same for BL maple. Less for red alder. Oak and madrone is rare, and goes for at least $300.

Mixed hardwoods about $100 per cubic meter.
Because heating oil is way expensive, so is firewood.

Split hardwood delivered is $280 here. Pine is less but not sure where it is at the moment. Inasmuch as the USFS had calculated that Hickory at $90 per cord and fuel oil at 60 cents per gallon would be a wash for cost per BTU in the 1960s, wood is currently ridiculously cheap

I always told the people when I sold the stuff that essentually the wood is free .What they are paying for is the labor and transportation costs .

As far as that goes BTU wise it's probabley a good deal were it not for the fact it's still some work weather you process it yourself or buy it .

I've watched the trend for decades .As the price for natural gas ,heating oil and what not goes up also does the interest of burning wood .If at some time those prices remain stable and the economy rises less interest is for the wood .

You know inflation wise maybe what I sold for at 80 a cord is double triple that now but so have wages increased .So it's remained stable regarding that aspect inflation factored in .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good info ... as I appreciate the posts, adds perspective. Stump & Al make good numerical comparisons to fuel alternatives, inflation and labor costs. I too have told people the wood is actually free they are paying for my back, saw, maul, and truck...

Red alder? For fire wood?

I believe there is a chart for the btu's per cord of species dry, somewhere. I believe it was posted here once.

My friend Jon Taylor sold a pickup load of split redwood to a customer once, and then Jon told me the customer said, "I wanted hardwood." Jon said, "It's all hardwood when you got to make it."

In terms of the effort to make it Jon was correct, but nonetheless redwood is no good for anything but kindling.

Some people like it, Jer. It coals better than D. fir, and in a fireplace is good in that it doesn't pop and throw embers like D. fir does. Not close on btu content, for sure.

That red wood and fir reminds me a boo boo the old man pulled .His buddy dropped off a pole trailer full of western red cedar telephone poles the old boy cut and spit .Burned them in the fire place .Lucky he didn't burn the house down .Talk about snap crackle pop .I was just a wee lad but I remember it well .

I think it's $225-250 a cord split/delivered for Doug fir here. .

Wow, that seems like good money for softwood and in a place where trees are so plentiful as are loggers/ tree men. In other words, I would have thought strong supply and low quality would keep prices lower.

That's high quality, no kidding. Look it up. But most especially in an area with very few native hardwoods.

I live within an hour of the biggest metro area in the state. Large demand. We have lots of trees, but we make lumber out of most of them that are harvested, so fuelwood supply is smaller than you might expect.

Good point about most of it going to lumber.

I've burned a fair amount of d. fir lumber scraps, it seemed to burn hot and fast and left very little ashes.

We are similar to Stig...in Tas, $100 - 120 cubic meter.
Iteresting to hear you say that the wood is free, you are only paying for the labour etc...I don't see how firewood cutters make any real money.

Being newbies to firewood and wood heating, we burn anything. We have a Saxon firebox and once its fired up and hot, even pine will burn well. Not as hot as macrocarpa, but ok.
People look askance at our woodpile, full of whatever kind of tree I've been working on, ash, pine, macro, elm...the locals are stuck on eucalyptus as the only thing to burn. An advantage of being newbie foreigners :)

The BTUs of any wood species are pretty close, if you measure by weight instead of cubic meters/cords/whatever.

I only use hardwood, because the work needed to turn a tree into firewood is the same, so I want the most BTUs for my effort.

The firewood market is huge here. Probably about ½ of the hardwood we log in winter ends up as firewood, which is why we buck stuff up down to about 6" dia.

Back