Cossus-cossus

Koala

TreeHouser
Here's a nice fat one I found last week in a little Prunus.

The little tree was gone, I guess they 've been there for one year or a little more.
There were only two. They like to eat for sure!

cossus.jpg cossus2.jpg

cossus3.jpg cossus4.jpg

cossus5.jpg cossus6.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No worries , now they 're resting in the bugs' hell.

I forgot to take an after- pic.

I mean, after I chopped his little head off....:barf:

Goat moth.
I wouldn't have killed them, but enjoyed seeing them.

Pretty rare this far north.

It would have taken another couple of years before turning into a moth.

I did enjoy seeing them. They are beautiful. And even more as moth. I don't feel any kind of pleasure in killing bugs or insects , but what to do?
Let them kill another tree?
I got a friend living in Denmark, if you wish next time I find one I can give it to her and she will bring it to you when she gets back home...
just kiddin ;)

That would probably be eaten around here, and by humans. They tell me those big larvae are tasty, but i refrain. These people will eat about anything. :/:

No worries , now they 're resting in the buggers' hell.

I forgot to take an after- pic.

I mean, after I chopped his little head off....:barf:

I can see why you did... It was looking at you hissing "You're Next!" :lol:
attachment.php

Amazing chompers on that critter

Bet my chickens would like some of those!

Yes. They ate all the cambial zone from the base of the tree to 7-8" upward.
This moth leaves the eggs at the base of the tree , when the little larvas are born they start to eat and get inside.

What I noticed is that the branches had become completely black. Another thing is that the galleries are kept very clean.No dirt inside. Seems like they are able to leave their excrement outside. Keep the house clean!

Anyway they are not something to be worried about here, what is causing more troubles is the chestnut gall wasp and the pine processionary caterpillar.

I can see some elderly lady cracking an egg and one of those fat larvae lands in her frying pan, she could have a heart attack. They would close down your egg laying operation and dig a trench for your chickens..

Back