coos bay for large heavy leaners

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
just as a sidenote.............the diagram gary showed, shows the triangle with the apex towards the lean. If you guys might recall, in Dent's first book, he shows a diagram with side notching and the apex is towards the rear. either way, the idea is to get rid of the tension on the sides of the trunk so you don't rip straps from the roots, etc.?

I was thinking that, too.

I think that the triangle is used with a notch, so it would have to have the narrow side of the triangle as the hinge.

If you were to try a triangle, apex to the lean, combined with a Coos Bay. I think it would pinch.

The options presented by the triangle strip approach are interesting. I've never done a Coos Bay that the strip wasn't set up as even, front to back...whether it was the Burnham method with a face and hinge, leaving a T shape to back cut, or the Davis/Beranek method with no face cut at all.

I've done the pair of angled faces that Ed brought up...in that case the leave strip had the apex to the rear.

tried a couple of cb's this week on some small trees......12"ers.........you have to cut fast and not slow down in the middle, otherwise they will barber...........

yep.............that'l be the off side. and once that's done i don't plan on going back around.............will stick to my escape side.............

well, are you saying cut the offside first (side with the favor), or throw in an undercut first, then the offside. btw.....no coos bay on this one. just the standard shallow undercut, trim the sides........trip with boring backcut.

With the stump condition you have it throws a proverbial wrench into the works. As far as the coos bay goes. However you do it now is all situation dependent. I still think cutting that back strap is the key to getting the tree down as easily and safely as possible. If the tree doesn't go then you don't have that to think about anymore.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of trees in similar scenarios.

Here is a small assortment of pics showing some trees that were being held from falling simply by a holding back strap. The trees that were cut posed some risk to passers by and the highway. The one that broke by itself left the strap standing in the air. Although it could have been cut too, but probably let go in the night during a storm.

Actually over the years I've seem many examples of this very thing. Problem trees for sure. Conventional falling methods and wisdoms do not apply with these. Be careful whatever you decide to do.

Attachments

• Hammond 006.jpg
    Hammond 006.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 50
  • Hammond 004.JPG
    Hammond 004.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Hammond 003.JPG
    Hammond 003.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Root soil failure.JPG
    Root soil failure.JPG
    398.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Hammond 002.jpg
    Hammond 002.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 48
  • big holding strap.jpg
    big holding strap.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 47
Those are great photos.........Did you fell some of these? or just happened by them for a kodak moment? If we go for the strap first, still will bind it up real good with wide webbing and tensioners. So is this Gary posting this thread?

Thanks...............hope to meet both of you in the future..............which would be great...........

Nice way to gain confidence by looking at GB's photos and seeing the rather large trees that folks in the past dealt with, presumably successfully.

It's a dicey situation anyway you go about it with trees like that. And yes those pics are snap-shots I took during my hikes in the parks. But I've seen many same examples in the second growth.

We're off to take care of this tree, tomorrow.........Didn't realize I was interacting with some of the best and knowledgeable sawyers around.........So.............Thanks..........Will get back with some video and pics........

Back