"converting" a climber

• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 122
  • Views 12K
G

Greenhorn

Anybody ever learn on gaffs and then switch to pruning without spikes? I did it the other way around but my latest prospect for a climber is having a rough time adapting, partially due to Texas heat...

He is from Iowa and claims they all prune with spikes up there, amazed me. He seems to have a good personality and work ethic so I am trying my best to help him convert to spikeless pruning.

Gonna get him on an advanced hitch asap and see if that helps. Anybody have any luck converting a guy like that or are they too spoiled after years on the hooks?

I had about 10 years on spikes before I ever climbed a tree without them. It was difficult for me because Davey basically said "Take the spikes off and go climb the tree" without any tools with which to do so. I had two sections of 8' ladder, a rope and a locking snap with which to get up the trees. No throw line, just wad up the end of your lifeline and wing it up in a fork so you could hump your way up. No wonder I ignored them and spiked everything anyway.

IMO working through a tree isn't particularly difficult without spikes. The hard part is getting up to the top. Give him tools to get to the top and he'll pick up on the rest of it.

IMO working through a tree isn't particularly difficult without spikes. The hard part is getting up to the top. Give him tools to get to the top and he'll pick up on the rest of it.

I agree. Give him the tools and technique to set a high line where it needs to be and he will pick the rest up easily.

Dave

[...]

Yep, if anything, working through the canopy without spikes is easier than with, depending on your tie-in point and the tree structure.

Teach that boy to footlock with a pair of ascenders on a doubled rope, it's fast and easy to switch over once he's in the tree. I'd start him with a Distel rather than a VT when he goes to an advanced hitch.

Orrrr, you could get him a Wraptor.

How bout' 5 bucks an hour for pruning with spikes, full pay without em'.

whats wrong with using spikes on a prune?

Seriously, tell me. I would like to hear.

People don't like to pay good money for a line of permanent holes in thier trees.

They gotta' sit on the porch and look at em' every day.

I think it makes skinned palms look like hell IMO...whatever though.

Way I started.. Spikes then rope no spikes. More trusting the equipment than anything.. And the learning curve on friction hitches and what not. That 10mm looks awful small for a gaff guy ;)

When pruning, I spike palms and worthless trees like African tulip and albizzia. I do not spike fruit trees and nice ornamentals.

I am wondering if anyone has actually seen a tree die from spiking. I have seen trees under power wires which have been spiked for YEARS, many many years, and look fine. No major rot where the spikes have been.
So, I am just curious.
Lots of pix posted of this disease or that disease, I am just wondering if anyone has pictures of massive decay begun by spiking.

-or is it an overblown issue not to spike?

Frans, you are so good. Just ease that line out and wait for the bites. It won't take long, especially with that bait. :/:

I am with KOA, spike the palms! However, in Key West it is a criminal activity.

On a funny note, the last climber we hired put the spikes on backwards.:lol: All new hires will get a climbing test before going to work. :D

you know id bite at it,
but im not gonna play his game today

split tail, throw line and a high tye in
im training a guy spikeless pruning and spurred removals right now
doing fine with it

the only tree for pruning i spike is redwood, in the lower 2/3rds
and the occasional fir or euc that i cant get to the top in, and i send em down when im over it

i see plenty of scarred up trees, and i dont want to be associated with that kind of work
used to work at an outfit that spurred everything....hated it

very rare i spike a prune,

I'm biting Frans. But first I think we have to agree that you rarely can ever know what killed a tree short of the presence of a known pathogen or a chainsaw.

With that said, I have seen, and Guy has seen, a nice big willow oak that was in serious decline and booked for removal because of lots of decay evident on the trunk radiating from a spike scar. I think I have pictures but haven't found them yet. In my opinion, the tree would not have been in such serious trouble had it not been spiked.

I don't think spiking kills trees often... but it can be the vector that does them in.

Aesthetics are another good reason. This tree is right in front of a what has to be a 3/4 million dollar home... (granted, the light doesn't look good either)

GaffScars.jpg

Spiking prunes isn't up to currently accepted practices when the prune can be done without'em. I don't spike prunes for the same reason I avoid unnecessary carnage when falling trees... it's more professional, less hackful.

I am with KOA, spike the palms! However, in Key West it is a criminal activity.

On a funny note, the last climber we hired put the spikes on backwards.:lol: All new hires will get a climbing test before going to work. :D

I wear my spikes backwards...

with the pads reversed so they cover my shin bone. It's just more comfortable to me to have the buckle on my heel.... but I get your meaning.

I'm a bit of a spike retard anyway. I think jugging a rope is easier.

Back