conehead 510

PCTREE

Treehouser
Ok just thought Id share, so finally after years of searching found an affordable (:|:) version of my dream chipper... Conehead 510. Have been using a Vermeer 1400 for a bit and really feel it is slowing us down especially with all the storm work we have been doing, it doesn't like being fed huge stuff with the crane or wheel loader. Anyways picking up the new chipper on Sunday if it checks out OK, 2006 CH510 with 1700 hours for $20K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...K:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_720wt_1413

Im excited about it but also a bit worried, I originally said to the Mrs that I would buy it if I could sell the 1400, now Im throwing caution to the wind and just getting it hoping I can sell the 1400 as Im spending our "tax money" on it:roll:

Hopefully work keeps rolling and I won't regret this.. Ill post pics soon and impressions when we put it to work...

Congats Paul! I understand the pucker factor, but if you are that busy I'd imagine other companies are as well, you should be able to sell the 1400 to a competitor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Put her to work today, very impressive machine, I need to fix some minor annoying problems but even so boy that thing can chip. Have to see how it does on some big removals but it seems like we are going to really like this chipper. Huge infeed system......... Ill get a video shortly.. Got some HUGE TDs coming up....

Havent heard anything good or bad about those coneheads. Never seen one outside of a trade show floor. Id be skeptical.

Niceguydave worked with a company that got one of the early ones, a good 7-9 years ago. There were problems early on, but I think they've been ironed out.

My powerstroke despises my 4500-5000 chipper too, it's a powerstroke. It know's when my 1500lb mini loader is in the back for gosh sakes.

There's not enough meat on a 1250 to weigh 7,000 lbs. But whateva 8)

I dont notice much difference between towing the cone head or the vermeer 1400. Sure do notice a difference whilst chipping though:D

I have the opportunity to grab a fairly new woodchuck wc 17 with a blown cat diesel engine. I can have it for scrap value. Clean unit. My Perkins on my vermeer drops almost right in to the woodchuck. I was thinking about doing it for the weight reduction. Sorry, done hijacking.

Wow is all I got to say. This is the hungriest chipper that I have ever ran. Today we took down a big red oak, lots of room to shoot out brush, topped it out in short order then came down and ran the wheel loader to chip the brush. I was cramming in 30' tops and limbs and couldn't keep up with it. We filled my chip truck in 20 mins:|:

This could be the start of a love affair..

I was a conehead Dealer for 3 years, visited the factory several times. They are sort of like the mom&pop store of the chipper world, although the 2 guys who own the company are ex morbark, with 1 of them being Morbarks chief designer for 25 years.

They work exceptionally well, but the paint finish was not great on the early models.

This was me in Detroit in back in 2005 with an early model 510

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qzilI9MH9K4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I see why they're called cone heads, that 585b is a beast. Same knife setup on the 510?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CXYRW6a8NZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Same drum on both machines, but the 585 has a thicker skin and heavier blade mounts. Also has a thicker shaft to take the 350+ hp.
I have some pics of the drums being manufactured somewhere.

Back