Clove hitch on a carabiner?

Brock Mayo

TreeHouser
Anyone ever tie into their blakes hitch with a clove hitch on a carabiner? Just to clarify, I’m talking about a traditional non-split tail setup. You tie your blakes, put a clove hitch about where you want it (below the blakes), clip a carabiner to it, make a slight length adjustment if needed and climb. If you need to adjust the length during use, just unweight it, slide some rope through, pull it tight and continue.
I use this as my second tie in for double crotching (eye to eye as my normal setup). I would never use a clove as an endline attachment, but with the tail secured in the blakes it seems bomb proof.

I use the clove hitch on a carabiner almost exclusively for attachment to anchors for rock climbing. Never had a problem and I’ve never heard of many problems (as long as the loaded rope is on the spine side of the carabiner).

However in the tree world, a great number of people I talk to believe that the use of the clove hitch on a carabiner will ultimately end in their death! :(

Anyone use the blakes/clove hitch combo? By my calculations :?, it’s the fastest most adjustable way to tie up the traditional (non-split tail) blakes hitch.

I don't see a problem with that either. The only way it's going somewhere is if your hitch comes undone. If that were the case you'd have bigger problems. :)

When we do the occasional crane job and I set chokers the crane op prefers a closed system so there's less to get snagged on the way up. I do 2 half hitches to my bridge ring and a tautline or blakes with the tail.

Sweet mustache man. Welcome to the 'house!

When double crotching I use a girth hitch to connect. It's nearly identical in function to the clove, but it seems to sit more cleanly than the clove. The clove puts a half twist in the whole system and I don't like it

You will die, but not from tying in as you're doing.

love
nick

Clove hitch for me as well when Dbl tying with the tail of my rope. Might have to give the girth hitch a try.

The only way a clove hitch will come undone is when one end is unsecured and there is back and forth movement on the other end, it will work out eventually...that's why we always put a half hitch in the free end of a mooring line when tying up the boat!

You know Brock, Pete ;).

As you know Brock, I agree with your method, like it a lot. The girth maybe a little less, don't care for the tighter bend radius it places on the rope...but it would never fail, I'm just anal :).

No way, as I see it. I may be incorrect. I'm looking at where the looped wrap passes around the legs of the girth hitch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah Pete, USFS, I think we met when you were out this way a few years back. Nick I tried the girth yesterday and I think I'm sold. :D It looked a little cleaner and I can still tie the blakes first and adjust the length on the girth if needed. As far as bend radius Burnham, I don't have them sitting here in front of me, but they seem pretty similar to me. The girth maybe puts the bend a little more rope on rope, where the clove is more rope on carabiner? I think I saw some breaking strenght tests a little while back that had the girth and the clove. I want to say the clove was a bit weaker, but can't remember :?

I see this as one of those instances where the comparison of strength, efficiency and bend radius is so close that it is irrelevant. I would look more to function when comparing these knots in this application.

love
nick

Brock,

Thanks for starting this thread. I always used the clove hitch as a 2nd point in multi-pitch rock climbing but it never occurred t use it the closed blakes system. I have always used a bowline or half hitches and the clove makes much more sense. I have been using a Wraptor lately and I tie in with a closed system so I have been using the clove since seeing this thread. I tried the girth today but the clove works better for me.

Just to pass the word...Brock is a quiet sort of guy, and youngish, but he is one to which it has payed greatly for me to listen closely when he does speak up. Just a word to the wise, for future reference :).

Back