Close call today!

Wow scary! I did something close to that on one of the first trees I ever climbed, spiking up a pine to about 40'. Thought I had connected my climbing line and unclipped the lanyard, pretty scary! Good habits are crucial.

jp:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well said Treerhino and JP. Bad habits are hard to break but can be broken. It's easy to get relaxed when your fear isn't keeping you on your toes.

I retired my old Buckingham Traverse saddle a few years ago after 10 years of reliable service, [and I swear I could probably get another 10 yrs out of it] Now after using my new saddle with the small D rings I miss the old Traverse's huge steel rings, for what little extra weight they were the extra size was sure nice working with 2 lanyards.
The trouble with these new lightweight aluminum D rings is their too close to resemblance of a saddles accessory aluminum biners......... can't go wrong with the old school big steel rings.

Speaking of non locking lanyard snaps, I've been at training courses where the instructor demonstrated twisting the lanyard's non- locking snap on a D ring which opened up the snap and the snap released from the D ring:\:...........will never forget that.........locking snaps always.

just heard this story today from a contract climber ..
he picked up a few days with another local company that's been around for 10-15+ years.. owner was climbing an ivy covered tree and clipped his lanyard into the ivy.. thinking he was tied into the side D, he un-clipped for the over head TIP and fell 40'.. not sure how bad he was hurt but he doesn't climb anymore..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
just heard this story today from a contract climber ..
he picked up a few days with another local company that's been around for 10-15+ years.. owner was climbing an ivy covered tree and clipped his lanyard into the ivy.. thinking he was tied into the side D, he un-clipped for the over head TIP and fell 40'.. not sure how bad he was hurt but he doesn't climb anymore..

Thanks for posting Murph. I hope this guy is doing ok. Your story a long with others here is really helping me to remember how critical one simple mistake can be in our line of work!

Ya, I have gone to all auto locking Rock Exotica and Petzl biners. I have on a number of occasions got part way up a tree and noticed I had not screwed my screw lock biner locked. Honestly, for straight spur climbing, there's a lot to be said for a good old fashion 4 strand wire core manilla flip line. With a spliced eye run thru the D rings and tied in a cats paw/ sheet bend. But. That's for loggin. . I agree with Holmen Tree I'm not too crazy about the aluminium Ds. The problem with a lot of Buckingham steel Ds is they flop back and forth. The Bashlin lineman's belt had the best Ds, steel double bar that stayed pointed forward.
I use HMS biners instead of Caritools behind the Ds on my Cougar but I once was in a hurry to get up a tree and accidentally clipped the double locking snap on my flipline into one of them.
We make mistakes when we get in a hurry or allow our mind to wander from the tasks at hand. .
In that way climbing is a lot like falling timber. You have to keep your mind on what is going on right now.

We make mistakes when we get in a hurry or allow our mind to wander from the tasks at hand. .
In that way climbing is a lot like falling timber. You have to keep your mind on what is going on right now.

Excellent point, a crew works most efficiently when nobody has to wonder if someone is spacing out in a vulnerable position somewhere. It takes awhile to develop such trust. On the ground or above during a busy job requires such watchfulness. Frig the whistle, I hate that.

Welcome to the Treehouse, if it hasn't been said before.

Thank you. My ground man is starting to want to climb. And I have been feeling pretty run down lately. He wanted to climb the first tree of the day today. But it was absolutely NOT a new climber tree. . A grouse ladder Sitka spruce with lots of big long wrapped up limbs on it. . He doesn't have anywhere near the experience to know what to look for that can get him or pretzel a bar and chain ect. . Plus the climbing line and the flipline had to be advanced several times. A guy needs to know what he is supposed to be seeing and have the experience to deal with it.

Back