Close call today!

ClimbMIT

TreeHouser
Was resetting my TIP so I tied my lanyard around a limb clipped in but didn't see my side D. When I leaned back and went to detach my biner on my bridge and heard a crack . I clipped into my Petzl caritool on accident. I broke my own rule because I was hot and tired. I was about 35' maybe. I almost paid a high price for not taking time to make sure I was clipped in properly! I had the biner in my hand was about to unclip when I felt the jolt and Caritool break.

Too close. Hell of a profession isn't it...one little mistake and it's quite possibly all over. I've clipped into my suspenders. :roll:

Thanks for sharing pard. Sure glad you heard that noise! A good reminder to all of us to check and double check our gear before we make transitions.

Done the same thing, only the caritool didn't break. Went to unclip and was pissed I made such a mistake. Glad you are OK. I try and listen for that metal on metal sound of my lanyard cliping on the d ring of my harness now.

That is one reason I don't have any caritool or plastic on my saddle just biners. I am glad you did not fall! I saw a guy cut his climb line not too long ago about an eight foot fall but still sobering, check check and recheck.

Wow, glad you got away with that one! Thanks for sharing, its a check for us all.

I have a friend who didn't, two years ago, same sort of thing, but he was already detached from the other system, whatever he clipped into with his lanyard wasn't his D...18metres straight down, landed in the chipper tray. He survived but has a really messed up leg and a bad back. Going on to do his Master's degree and take up consulting.

Back in the day it was a tragic mistake for a lineman to snap into a screwdriver or wrench on his tool belt. This all highlights the importance of a visual check.

Once snapped into my slider, followed by releasing my safety and doing a limb walk at about 150 feet up. I then discovered that my snap keeper did not click back to close the gate on my slider. A sudden and very sick feeling came over me right then. Yuck.

There have been some vids posted where the climber doesn't appear to visually check that the clip in is as desired. Sometimes it is difficult to pick up a quick glance, but it got me wondering.

The D's on my home made saddles floated, but their home position, without load, was always sticking out front right where you needed them. The never flopped back on the belt even inverted positions. It really was never a guess when you snapped into them.

Done the same thing, only the caritool didn't break. Went to unclip and was pissed I made such a mistake. Glad you are OK. I try and listen for that metal on metal sound of my lanyard cliping on the d ring of my harness now.

Not too belabor a point, and not too single out TN as I am sure he is not alone here, but dont listen, LOOK.
Trust your eyes, not your ears.
The snap of the lanyard clip closing can fool you into thinking your clipped into a metal D, when your not.
I dont ever lean back on my lanyard till I see with my eyes that the D is clipped and secured.
Funny thing them Caritools, I have clipped into one as well, but I then looked and checked and saw that I was misclipped and corrected the situation.
Be careful up there, its all too easy to get a lil too comfortable up there, especiallly after we've been doing this for a few years, but then we can all fall prey to bad habits, like listening for the metal on metal sound of your snap hitting your D.
Metal on metal is the sound of a snap closing alone, so how do you tell that it is hitting the D ring and not just itself ?
You dont.
You look with your eyes, and do a physical check with your hand, and prevent yourself from falling backward out of a tree from 50' up.
It takes no time to check, excuses are just that, and they do not matter. If you have to move your shirt or your jacket I dont care becuase it is a non issue, you check the D connection, bottom line, I do a visual and a physical check with my hand, after I do my checks, then I lean back and trust my gear with confidence.
Good to share these type of situations as it brings up important safety issues such as this, clipping into your D's is one of the most basic life preservation skills you will learn, practice good habits from the start, and if you must break bad habits as soon as they are identified. Its not too late to teach yourself new habits just takes some persistence.
Good luck all and stay safe.

Excellent post. Totally agree with the visual confirmation for consistent safety.

Sound is suggestive but sight is sure.

Too close. Hell of a profession isn't it...one little mistake and it's quite possibly all over. I've clipped into my suspenders. :roll:

Exactly... every day ... even on the simplest jobs, we risk out lives... when one little mistake can kill you, the cumulative risks add up over time.. that's why good habits are so important... just like wearing a seat belt.. odds are small, on any given ride, that you'll need it. BUT OVER TIME.. they add up.. visual check on the D's... AND THE TIE IN POINT...

I was just talking to another climber yesterday about his near death experiences... I almost died once when I blindly tied into a tulip (very brittle) sprout no bigger than my thumb at 55'...
He did something similar..

Thanks for sharing.. these are great threads because they save lives.. keep safe!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the responses. That is what makes this site great we have the opportunity to learn from each other's mistakes. When I clipped in I did hear metal to metal and that is why I made the mistake of not visually checking which almost always do. I am blessed I am not in the hospital or 6' under. I wanted to share in hopes that it just might save someone from making a dreadful mistake!

damn caritool, they really need to make thoes out of rated metal. pretty sure anyone who owns one has clipped into it before. somehow it held my weight when I clipped into mine, yet I snapped in in half once when my saw caught ion a twig and dropped it 50' onto a concrete slab. better the saw than me. clearly I check with my eye's now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I might go with rated non locking biners in case I make this same mistake in the future. Not that I plan to not visually check but I always like a reserve if my main fails!

No Plastic on my saddle. I climb on an ergolite and only use the paddle carabiners. I once got a caritool free with a saddle and used it for a while but the stupid gate kept going wonky on me and i lost some equipment, including a saw, and threw it in the trash. i don't let my guys use them either, too much risk that isnt worth the few ounces of weight you save.

Visual check of gear for sure, but the thing i notice with myself and my guys is that it tends to be in smaller trees and lower to the ground when we get mentally lazy. and most every injury our accident i see is a result of mental laziness. Very rarely do i see accidents or injuries from lack of knowledge or skill.

We, as an industry, have become quite adept at training for knowledge and skill, but changing attitudes and behaviors will always be a bugger.

in some ways, that's why i appreciate this site so much. Somehow, this group combines and incredible level of skill and knowledge with a healthy dose of humility that, in my opinion, is unusual in this world.

Keep up the fire!

Back