Climbing in Parks City, State, or otherwise

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I have been thinking of taking Meg out for a rec climb and we have some beautiful trees in the city/state parks near us. I have climbed trees in the parks before but always out of eyesight and a little incognito if you get my meaning.

I called the Ohio State Parks people and they told there werent any rules against it but i SHOULD request a special event permit... I dont know that I am going to go through all that, so maybe I will stick to the city parks..

I got in trouble in once for rockclimbing in a county park, which sucked it cost me $400 and my two friends $200 each.

Anyone ever have any trouble with Ranger Rick of the local LEOs for climbing trees in city parks?

FYI - no spikes and I will use Friction Savers. Wouldnt cary handsaws or anything like that and would wear helmets.

I use to go for rec climbs in the Shawnee NF all the time, and I was always wondering the same thing. Never had a problem, but I always hiked off the beaten path a bit.

I asked a park ranger at a near by state park and he told me to have fun as long as I don't cause damage to the tree. I was surprised to get that answer from him because that park is known for their iron fist rules enforcement.

Yup out of sight out of mind. We've done some climbing in city parks, no problems unless someone calls the police or a city employee happens to drive by.

jp:D

Depends on the employee who happens to see you. Some won't care and will probably appreciate the fact that you're properly equipped and not harming the trees. Others will get on their Ranger Rick attitude and make you submit to their authority. Much easier to just stay off the beaten path.

Most parks or cities wont let you. Although, the city I worked for which contained Bidwell park and covered almost 2700 acres had no law against it.

Depends on the employee who happens to see you. Some won't care and will probably appreciate the fact that you're properly equipped and not harming the trees. Others will get on their Ranger Rick attitude and make you submit to their authority. Much easier to just stay off the beaten path.

Right on again, Brian.

I did a bit of contract climbing for a company that does a lot of the city tree contracts where I live. I took a friend for a climb in a city park late last year which was her first climb. A ranger turned up and things looke like they were going to turn nasty for a bit until I mentioned the name of the company, the tree species and a few catch phrases like 'taking a rookie up on the ropes for a canopy inspection' etc...

I think Aus is a bit stricter on stuff like that than a lot of other countries which is a shame.

Shaun

Back