Climber worth???

sounds like you're busy mate.
what sort of day rate are freelancers getting in norway rich? the price here varies from around 250 to 350 euros and sometimes even more depending.

Wow, prices haven't gone up at all !! When I worked in Germany 03-06, the prima German climbers demanded 400 euro or 450 euro a day. BUT they only got 1-3 days a week of work. I picked up subbing for mostly stadt contracts in Munich. It got me 235 euro a day - every stinking day we worked. Many, many days we knocked off at 2 or 3.

I have noticed in general that tree work pays less than it did when I started climbing in '99. That is why I'm out of that game.

Are you a Krautling or just in Germany for work?

Wow, prices haven't gone up at all !! When I worked in Germany 03-06, the prima German climbers demanded 400 euro or 450 euro a day. BUT they only got 1-3 days a week of work. I picked up subbing for mostly stadt contracts in Munich. It got me 235 euro a day - every stinking day we worked. Many, many days we knocked off at 2 or 3.

I have noticed in general that tree work pays less than it did when I started climbing in '99. That is why I'm out of that game.

Are you a Krautling or just in Germany for work?

Haha im a kiwi , just over here for work while my girl studies.
yeah it sounds like not much has changed since then mate , personally I'm employed and its not a bad gig , i get to work in one of the nicest cites in germany and basically do a freelancers job without the hassle of having to mess around with the german system to much,I'm climbing all day every day and get supplied with top equipment so although its less money i think it works out quite well

who did you sub for in munich? just the city or some other companies also?

I subbed for a guy who got contracts from Stadt Muenchen directly. It worked well. He provided a vehicle most of the time. I provided my climbing kit. For weeks at a time, he would be out of town leaving me to liaise directly with the stadt on projects. It was good work because we got to do a ton of parks and some large removals. Down side, lots of street trees too and of course lots of work in urban public areas. That was for Hubert Schoenborn who was actually out of Regensburg but must have had the Bavarian accent, leather pants, and secret hand shake to land the work. I subbed for a Scottish guy there in town as well as for Mark Mosig, Nellen, and others.

It was a seriously good gig. I made way more money contracting in Germany than I ever did running my own show. It is the steady drop that wears the stone. At 250 euro a day, every day, plus side jobs, it can stack up.

I am assuming at those types of day rates you have your SKT A & B?

http://www.treeamigo.blogspot.com/

You in Munich? I'll be there in 2 weeks.

Nate

yeah thats interesting a , the living costs here are very reasonable so Its not a bad gig.
I got my quals in nz and with a bit of fluffing around with insurance they transferred directly over.
I'm not on the day rates as i am employed so i get paid per hour but for me its a lot less stress as i can barley read a children's book in german let alone fill out paper work etc.

I am based in heidelberg which is about 3 hours away but if your near flick me a message mate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey fellas quick update, did two weeks on the contract. Then the other foreman of the crew got mad that a sub had just as much power as him(me) so he quit Wednesday morning, took the bucket and chipper and did side work while not answering the owner or power company's calls and got drunk. So the owner terminated the contract as to not burn his bridge with the power company. Back doing my own thing 100% again, I think the main man was watching out for me due to the exposure I got to Home/land owners we were doing work on and really pulled a lot of connections and now I have more work than I can handle. It was a good experience for someone so new to the game to be with a bigger outfit and see how they handle things even if it was a short while. Watched a 25 year vet about fry a ground guy though. Topped a cottonwood using two half hitches and end termination, rope was a little too slack and the half hitches slipped and let the top run too far outward and caught the 7,200 volt line while the ground guy was hanging on the end of the rope. Everything was deserted, power company came in, killed the line and removed the top. Pretty crazy stories they have about old school techniques of just using ropes to set hot lines and trusting it to insulate the workers. I think that embarrassment played into the other foreman/climber to quit.

Back