Chuck & Duck Chipper

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 13K
greatoutdoors, got a first name? I'm Jeff
If I can find say, something like a Vermeer 1250 or comparable thats what I would purchase. But most I have seen for sale have that "Run it like you stole it" character about them.

Hey, I'm Andrew.

You should be able to find a 1230/1250 for around 5k, but it's gonna take some time and be ready to strike when ya find a deal. You can also find a lot of bandit 200+'s, Morbark 200's, and maybe a Bandi 250xp or a Morbark model 13. Use searchtempest to search craigslist and also put a wanted ad up on your local craigslist. No doubt, you will find a chipper better than a chuck and duck.

I am not sure why you all are hatin' on cnd chippers. Let's compare them to other 6" chippers. I used several 6"Vermeers and i would take our cnd over the 6" Vermeers disk any day. I also question if you could get a reliable 12"hydro feed chipper for $5k, while I would bet my house that you could find a very reliable cnd for way less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Coincidently that Chip-More in the picture is just about like the one Tom robbed the 300 Ford from .It's all there minus the engine for I think 500 if someone wants the bones .

Hey Al could you with out to much trouble get a pic of it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not sure why you all are hatin' on cnd chippers.
I have a few years running one & I dont have that much of an issue with them.

I know they sure beat the crap out any 1250 or other bargin when one finds them self up at 4:00 am, 2nd morning in a row, wrestling a cutting disk or drum out to replace the bearings. Its all a crap shoot what your getting with used chippers. The CnD is just easier to maintain.
I get my stuff picked up pretty cheap. I dont know what Im going to do.....I know Im going fishing tomorrow.

I bought mine from a guy that made a bad business move and needed to liquidate his gear quickly. He poured his retirement money into a partnership trucking company and his partner burned him and bailed.

All our stuff is new but would love a chuck'n'duck' for palms. Probably the only thing I would use it on. Palms and rollers just feed the belly pan.

I'd buy it in a jiffy if I was looking and the motor was strong. Can't judge a book by its cover. It could have been treated very well, but kept outside its whole life. Decals and paint and you have a good unit on your hands.

Or it could be beat.

Here is my thoughts...allowed me to do tree work before i could afford a disc chipper, and made me some money. When I did switch to a disc chipper I saw an instant change in my job time and profit margin...

Chris, were you going from a comparably powered and throated CnD to Hydro, or was it moving from a 6" or 9" CnD to the 12" hydro?

I know that I lucked out on my purchase, as mine has a swiveling, telescoping round chute with adjustable chute angle relative to horizontal and adjustable deflector, bulletproof engine, and big throat, all for a cheap price.

The way its balanced on the axle, with around 100 pounds of tongue weight on a 4400 pound machine, I can semi-strenuously pick up the tongue and spin the machine on flat ground alone, and with a second person, its not bad at all.

My chipper was an fmc 16" drum with a 318 v8 engine. It had a huge flywheel beside the drum to keep the rpms up. It could chip 7" oak limbs, 15 feet long. It was a beast is the way of chuck and duck chippers. But, like any c n d, the limbs had to be prepped to feed. Dead wood was a nightmare. Twisty wood was a nightmare. Wide spreading limbs were impossible. When I went to the 12" vermeer, none of that mattered. My wife was the one to notice our increased profitability if that says anything. Now, my groundman and I carry large limbs together as a team and put them right in the chipper. We are off the job much faster then we used to be. Now and again ill go chip up real big jobs for another tree company that runs a chuck n duck. On his big jobs, he makes better money hiring it out to my company than tying up him and his men feeding small limbs into his chipper.

I'll never knock a company for using one. But my thoughts are, use it, make money with it, and when the opportunity comes to upgrade, do it.

Sounds like I have what you had.

For hardwood limbs, a lot more prep is required, and a feed wheel machine is much better. I deal mostly with pretty straight doug-fir limbs more than anything else. Fruit tree suckers are pretty easy for mine, as well. Cedar limbs suck if they are any size, but are few and far between. We hardly ever do hardwoods that are twisty. Maple and alder feed like a breeze. Madrone are few and far between as well, thankfully as they are problematic.

I don't know if a 9" hydraulic machine could chip as fast as my 9" C n D for most of MY work. I've never had a hydraulic hose blow, or had to rebuild a hydraulic motor. I couldn't say about fuel consumption, but I suspect that I get about a full 12 yard truck load out of about 10 gallons of gas.

Its again the case of each person's operation being different, along with species variability. Being well outfitted for one market is not the same across the board. Its great you got such a good score on your chipper that works so much better with your species.

It's all relative. We all have to use what works for our situation. It sounds to me like your machine is the ticket for those conifer limbs.

It depends on what you're doing and how much money you have .Tom got by with that old Lindag for years until he could afford the Morebark .

The old C and D Lindag would eat em up but it also would beat the pizz out of you if you didn't watch it .The Morebark will suck in a whole tree a little bit at a time .

My CnD must be different, or something. I don't ever feel like I'm getting beat up, but I do see employees watching stuff going into there that seem to. Feed from the side. Its chuck and duck (move out of the way), not the Chuck and Watch the same old chewing up of stuff and get slapped around by stuff.:lol:

I say this having used a BC 1500 (I think), and at Parks a Bandit 250 (thankfully only about 8 times:), professional mess Maker). I mean, I'd take one of either if someone offered it to me in trade, now that I have a chip truck that would tow it, but I already fill my 12 yard truck only chipping up to about 4-5" for the most part. Larger than that its generally trunk wood cut into firewood.

Each machine to its own market.

Back