Chuck & Duck Chipper

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 13K
R

RIVERRAT

Being that it appears I will be home for a strech, Im thinking about a chipper. I am liking the simplicity of the old style chuck & duck chippers used a lot by line clearance crews.

Around here I have not seen any with a bigger than 6"-8" capacity. Is there such an animal in this style chipper rated for 12"?

Mine is a 9"x 16" throated, V8 powered Wayne/ FMC. 1975. Still runs really well and eats. Simple machine. I don't know about larger, though. The wide throat is important.

Ya, forget a chuck and duck. You can find old self feeding brush bandits and morbarks for under 5k. A world better in productivity, capacity and safety.

Chuck and ducks are fine for straight brush and that's about it. The ones I've used in the past would spit back the larger diameter wood or leave a small chunk on the infeed shoot, then you have to grab a stick and smack it till it goes, a PITA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Butch, I'm thinking the same. A 12' may not be a good idea.
Found this post to be quite humorous.
Bounce; said:
I learned to hate the old C&D at the first tree service I ever worked for. That thing would tear your gloves, hat, and shirt off if the branch was long enough and had a curved tip. I remember having to finish 1 job half naked because it ate 2 of my shirts. By the end of that day I looked like I had been caught steeling in China. I didn't ever appreciate it until I used a new Vermeer with the infeed rollers. It was so slow at first I thought it must be broken. On the other hand, it didn't shoot firewood chunks back at me like a pitching machine either.
:big-laugh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
greatoutdoors, got a first name? I'm Jeff
If I can find say, something like a Vermeer 1250 or comparable thats what I would purchase. But most I have seen for sale have that "Run it like you stole it" character about them.

I have a Chipmore chuck and duck and a Vermeer 1250 and both are great machines at times and at other times they both suck. If I had to go with only one, I would go with 1250. Like I said, either is fine and will go the job done.

From what I have observed, it seems like cnd chippers are either called 12" or 16" chippers which refers to knife length. The true chipable capability is half of that. Ours is 16" and does well with 8" branches and no more.

Coincidently Tom bought a 12" chuck and duck recently just go get the 300 6 Ford engine .Fact I helped him get the thing running about three days ago .I' m not exactly sure what he's going to do with it or even what brand it is but the engine runs like a top .Of course that engine is now in a 16" Morebark self feeder .

Here is my thoughts. Which may or may not be correct. I started out with an fmc 16" chuck n duck. Now run a vermeer 1250. C n d chippers are fantastic machines considering the cost, weight, cost to maintain, fuel consumption, and simplicity of use. That being said, the down side to all those benefits, is production and violent behavior. They are low commitment machines and tow nicely. I myself will never own another unless I can score one for some mind boggling price that I can use on small jobs or as a spare. I don't regret the years I owned one. It cost me pennies, allowed me to do tree work before i could afford a disc chipper, and made me some money. When I did switch to a disc chipper I saw an instant change in my job time and profit margin. I do miss towing a lighter machine though. I don't miss getting whipped, spanked, molested, and publicly accosted by my c n d though.

I dont know what to think about chuck and ducks. they chip fast but only straight short pieces and they make a mess, at least ours does. thing never dies though no matter how much we try to kill it. I dread the days when our bandit is in the shop and we're using the c&d spare.

They had their time and place, not unlike saws sans chainbrakes.

It's time for them to be in the history books, IMO. :drink:

Toms old Lindag was a 16" c and D .It had a huge flywheel counter weight .That old dinosaur would take in brush at what seemed 60 MPH .That damned thing would slap you silly though if you don't watch it and pay attention to what you were doing .

That danged thing would literally shake itself apart .I can't remember how many times I welded the chuting back togther on it .Plus the last two years he ran he had new chuting made only to self distruct in the very same way .

Jeff, where are you located?

Mine doesn't shoot stuff back much at all, and if you are feeding from the side, as is proper, I don't see much concern from MY experience with MY machine. I have mudflap like heavy, slitted rubbery material draped down from in front of the chute, just in from the folding tray.

That being said, one guy that started working for me was feeding from the front on the one day he worked for me, AFTER the feed from the side part of the training, and had a chunk pop out and give him a family jewels shot. He ended up getting into the college classes that day that he was told he wouldn't be able to get into that quarter, so I couldn't see if that experience was the best way to teach someone not to feed from the front. I do feed from the front at times, but know what to expect.

Regardless of what machine, slow or fast speed feed, I wear a face shield and earmuffs, which offer some protection, but its not really needed that much when someone uses the machine properly, feeding from the side.

A lot of people think that its really dangerous and all, but I don't.

If you need a lot of crotch crushing power, then feed wheels are great. The biggest problem that I encounter are nasty, long since pruned fruit trees, and dead wood, the latter I feed tip first.

Mostly chipping conifers, maple, and alder, 4-5" and less, though I have put in bigger, closer to 8", but for me, that's usually firewood.

I was able to pick mine up for $2450, and have put in around $1200-1500 over 4 years. New clutch, radiator rebuild, used tires, fluids and filters, lil carb work, new marine plastic gas tank, home paint job, and some lettering.

Figure I can sell it for the same amount.

God only knows how many hours are on it and its still dependable and runs well.

For a cheap chipper, its made me lots of money.

Only weights 4400 pounds and is balanced where one strong person can tip it up on the axle by the tongue and pivot it around on FLAT ground. Reasonably easy enough to get the pintle ring on the hook when slightly off the mark when backing it up.

Telescoping chute, adjustable deflector (naturally), and pivots side to side. Some don't do this, as some are intended to always shoot chips into a chip truck directly in front of the chipper on the road, or with a side discharge. I have no problem getting chips to fully fill my 11' southco box.

Its got its pro's and con's, but was the right price and has been dependable.

311542_10150324959493409_64756098408_8238160_1251103193_n.jpg

Here is our. I picked it up last fall for $1700. So far I have stuck about $50 into it and that includes an oil change. I still need to put a new gas tank on it as well. I think it's a 1983 or '85.

Say sometime around '70-'71 I worked part time in a welding shop in New London Conn while I was in the navy .Some trimmer ,line clearance guy came in with I think a Graham chipper with busted motor mounts and we welded the engine block right to the frame .

Silly way to fix things but aside from that the danged thing had swing knives instead of a drum .I've never seen another like that thing before or since .I never saw in run but it had rubber curtain things to attempt I suppose from tossing stuff back at you .

Coincidently that Chip-More in the picture is just about like the one Tom robbed the 300 Ford from .It's all there minus the engine for I think 500 if someone wants the bones .

P1090207.jpg
P1020688.jpg

P1060844.jpg

Back