Chipper winch fatality

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
Just a reminder that we are just as prone harm on the ground as in the air. A HUGE outfit in southeast PA, Rick's Tree Service, had an employee killed and another is in critical condition from a chipper winch cable snapping and hitting the men...... The early newspaper reports are calling it a stump grinder accident. Once a solid write up comes along, Ill share it.

Be safe everyone. Just a reminder that danger lies around every corner in this trade.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll get info from within the company itself. But not just yet.

Murphy is always goin on about how Rick underbids him. I am sure he will pipe in on this. Horrible to hear though. I always wonder what would happen if our winch failed while we are rigging with it.

Wow, what a terrible way to go.

I wonder what the cable configuration was that would have them in the line of fire..

Sad sad sad, I wonder if there was actually a stump grinder involved? Or if thats the news term for chipper?

We can rarely get away with backing the chipper into yards like that, sometimes, but not often.

I wonder if they were hauling a large section of tree out of the back yard and the cable broke closer to the chipper.
The longer section would whip back toward the piece being hauled in a potentially huge radius, which could have caught the worker who had just attached the cable to the piece.
The shorter section of cable could have easily whipped around, catching the worker operating the winch control.

One thing, no matter the circumstances, these guys were obviously being complacent, they had probably winched hundreds of logs to the chipper with that same cable and whammo, 1 guy dead, another in crit con.
Very sorry for the deceased's family, I mean no disrespect whatsoever, only to alert others to being overly complacent while doing very dangerous things, that we do day after day over and over again.
They may have winched every day all day long, but that did nothing to make it any safer, only built that false sense of safety, until guys are winching logs and the work just carries on around them.
I have seen this happen more than once, one guy on the ROW falling/slashing, another guy maybe bucking branches and the guy skidding the wood to the chipper totally oblivious to the danger.
This is a scene just ready for a bad accident.
Be aware and work with care, be especially vigilant with the common things we do every day over and over again, this is where accidents happen, as we unfortuneatley have witnessed with this chipping accident.
And when winching clear the bloody path of the flying cable or rope, rope can kill too, if your winching with rope and think your safe to winch through everyone and everything because your using amsteel, your setting youself up for a nasty surprise.
Its not worth the time saved, alert your coworkers, to stand well clear before you winch.
Its the only way.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1J_r-sQWVJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This idiot filming (me), almost lost the family jewels.

Guys running minis, report back to me that they are not using their winches as much or at all
I recommend Amsteel on the winches I sell - no snap back they say (still kinda hard to believe)
I also do not install any cables or rope on the winches,

I read about a firefighter death a few years ago...the FF's had responded to a farm accident and took care of it. Somewhere in the process a tractor had gotten stuck and before they left the FF's decided to help the farmer get the tractor out. They hooked a chain to the tractor and the front hook on the fire engine and were backing up to pull the tractor out. Something gave way and the end of the chain shot straight through the windshield and drilled the FF driver in the forehead. Father of two...died of head injuries the next day.

What started out as a good deed and simple for the FF's turned deadly in a hurry. Your video, Bixler, shows how quickly something can go wrong.

Pretty sure the accident involved the winch cable being fed into the machine. In which case rope or steel would not matter

I have been running Amstel since chipper was new, broke it several times with no crazy recoil

Back