Chipper Broke

top_notch

Treehouser
Our company's Vermeer BC 1800 xl is broken! The wheel bearings went out on the right wheel. We took it to the mechanic and thought that we could just replace the bearings but the spindle was too gnarled up to tighten the lock nuts snug, and still have the wheel spin...This is even after the mechanic took a grinder and file to the spindle to try to smooth it out.

So according to the manual for the chipper the spindle is a separate part from the axle, so we thought we could order one of those. As it turns out the company that makes the axles doesn't sell the spindle separately for liability reasons. All in all the new axle is going to cost $3,000:O Anyone have any ideas, that could lead to a less expensive fix? And we are pretty much dead in the water without the chipper.:whine:

source another axle, measure the dimensions , leaf to leaf and overall length and find weight of machine. Should be able to get an axle with brakes for $500 imo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is up to my boss, not sure if he wants to deal with it or just get it fixed. I'll try to see what we can come up with. I think this machine weigh's in at around 10,000 lbs.

Who's Dexter? As far as replacing the axle goes, I don't remember it having a straight axle. It is I guess a c shape or like this [ . If that makes any sense at all.

Maybe drop axle, except it doesn't drop the chipper it raises it up, and it's at about a 45 degree angle. I think the off set part of the axle provides some sort of suspension, since there's no leaf springs on the chipper. I'm still not sure what you mean by Dexter.

Perhaps a torsion axle.
Dexter is the name of an axle manufacturer, I posted a link to them

From memory the BC1800's have a "Wet Hub" there is Oil in the Hub and the Plastic end cap holds the Oil in.The Oil may have leaked out and the resulting lack of lubrication has burned up your Bearings.

Vermeer won't make the Axels themselves,they would purchase them from a Supplier.Measure it up and call around heavy equipment mechanic's.I recon someone will be able to sort you out.

funny i broke the spindle of my 250 the other day
cost me close to 1500 bucks for a new axle
i didnt want to sleeve it an weld it

liability issues suck

actually a failed road in the dark blew the chipper axle and all the hanger hardware off a trailer, lets just say 35 mph on a dirt road in the dark is 1 thing, finding out it collapsed a foot over night is another, i saw my loader in the air behind me, i fixed the trailer, the chipper is in the shop and the pick up is waiting for a new suspension....28k$ job, bought a chipper out of it, but had some serious repair bills after...it all works out i guess

Dexter has been making axles since Fido was a pup .They make oil bath axles also .

I have two 8-9 thousand pound rated Dexters on my machinery trailer .It's either 3" or 3.5" tubes .

Back