Chipper anvil info?

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
Hey,

Just looking for a little schooling on chipper anvils. I had a small morbark chipper.

What happens if the gap between blades and anvil is too small? I know they will hit each other if its way to small gap. but other issues.

What happens with too big of gap?

How long do your anvils usually last?

Basically lately my chipper hasn't been chipping as good as usual. Clogging up lots. Hates the small spruce and pine. New blades have been put on. Springs tightened. No blockages in the chute or other areas. And I flipped the anvil. Just thinking I may have gapped it wrong, cause I haven't seen a great improvement.

Thanks

Check the inside of the chute for a hole. If it's double walled it will force the inner wall into the chute opening. Also make sure your vents are open and clear

My chippers spec .040 gap, very close. If the gap is too big or the anvil isn't square you'll shred rather than cut. Long straps. Some chippers don't throw well and only run well with brand new knives that carry more air. What is your current gap and what should it be?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey,

When it clogs it seems to be at the feed wheel. Just the little stuff. Put in something 2" or bigger and it doesn't seem to have a problem.

I gapped it to the specs, which say .060-.100". Now I plan to double check that gap, as It was super awkward to get in there with the gauge.

It does seem to be shredding the small stuff more then chip it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Only run well with brand new knifes" is interesting. I have had a number of re sharpened blades that never seem to be that good. That could be a small part of the issue.

Hey,

When it clogs it seems to be at the feed wheel. Just the little stuff. Put in something 2" or bigger and it doesn't seem to have a problem.

I gapped it to the specs, which say .060-.100". Now I plan to double check that gap, as It was super awkward to get in there with the gauge.

It does seem to be shredding the small stuff more then chip it.
Sometimes you just have to save a piece of wood to carry the small stuff through

^^^ditto the last, my hubby touched up the 'blades' on the feed roller on mine and it made a big difference. The rollers weren't gripping larger wood very well at all before. We also slowed down the feed rate and than was an improvement also.
Saving a 'brushy' bit to go through last or on it's own from time to time helps clear the throat.

I flipped the anvil last week and re-set the gap, the different bits of info I have on my chipper has the gap anywhere from .65 to 1.5mm, little bit confusing.

My chipper is still new to me so these discussions are helpful

Back