Chipper 101

I can't remember how long it's been since changing knives. I'm meticulous about no hand-scooping on dirt or gravel. Pick it up for feeding, or take it and dispurse into the woods or load it into a trailer/ truck (rarely drive my chip truck).
I'm about due. You can easily touch up blades, but sometimes the anvil is the real problem.

Hardware stores are drop-off/ pickup sites for a professional sharpening service, here. No shipping.

Mine are mad old too. I work pretty hard to keep rocks etc out.

If my chipper was easier for blade changes and chipped 'OK' when beat up in the middle of the job, I'd be less concerned, and change them more often.

I can still machine-feed full-sized piles after maybe a year, maybe more. Miriam is diligent about keeping rocks out, like me.

Sharp is definitely best for the machine (vibration and fuel consumption) producing better chips for mulch.

Hmm. Ya know, I don't work much around a chipper. Saftey reasons. Most folks in my neck of the woods who've actually run a chipper, have never done so for a climber, thus the "rope in the chipper thing" is a legit concern for me.

We're looking at a small "happy homeowner" size unit, maybe 3-4 inch max. Everything else becomes firewood, for the most part, it's just the volume of brush that's an issue.

We don't have enough work to worry about finding a chip dump, or green waste site, we just bring it home and use it for Hugelkulture.

Maybe once the volume of work picks up, I'll do the thing, especially since my primary ground support is my wife, I should be safe lol.

He would know best. I've used a 3"/ 5hp chipper before. Very low productivity.

A 10hp, at least 8 hp, would be a lot better, but still low productivity.

If one can leave chips in place, saving dragging and hauling, that's something.

Reg Coates (recoates on YT) video'ed a (maybe) slightly bigger, manually-moved, not so expensive, backyard chipper.

I've wanted a little chipper for a long time. Eliot makes some 5" that seems to fill a niche, but will probably be hard to find used for a while.
Not worth chunking that much change down for the use I would get.

A used microchipper isn't very expensive and can be turned over, for the same selling price as buying price, if no longer needed.

Once a piece of equipment comes to me, it will die in my care. That's been a resolution of mine for years, since selling a truck I should have kept, but that's its own story.

My work volume is so low, typically 1 tree at a time, everything usually fits into my truck and trailer, one trip. If the piece is big enough for me to warrant chucking in my stove, I do, everything else gets mounded up so that I can eventually cover it in dirt and plant something.

Being able to chip the smaller stuff would mean it's quicker to rot and break down since more surface area is exposed. Also, everything will be done at home, with none of my ropes in play at all.

Also, I average maybe one tree job a month right now. There's no return on a 10k chipper at that pace. Lolz

I’m assuming that even with the utmost care, the knives will dull due to the silicates in the wood. This is not nearly as quickly as a saw chain and that’s due to harder steel.

Correct statements?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I asked here before about the little homeowner chippers, and it sounded like I'd be wasting money getting one. My situation's very similar to yours, where I use everything but very little stuff. Dunno what's available between the homeowner special, and an entry level 6", but if there's something in that gap, I'd look there at least. The little 3" chippers sounded frustrating, and insufficient, so not worth the relatively low price tag.

We still have our little Bear Cat. It was 8000 new. We don't use it much anymore. But it damn near feeds itself with sharp blades. Has a mulcher in the top. If you could find a cheap used one....
I am not sure this is the model, but looks exactly like it. Side feed towable. Shute turns 360. The back is where the shreader feeds.
With a tow dolly, we have been able to move it back behind building with small gates on side walks. Or have the dingo push it in.
Can't seem to part with it because when you need it, you really need it. I guess they make ones with feed wheels that are 6" now. Came with my company I wandered into. 2009-echo-bearcat-sc5670b-5-inch-towable-chippershredderblower-800824086.jpg

I have a 3” homeowner chipper. I never used it for anything tree work related as it takes forever to chip a small brush pile. We got it when we bought the house due to the wooded area. It’s all hand fed and requires straight limbs. Operator must apply constant pressure on the branch to make it chip.

I have a 3” homeowner chipper. I never used it for anything tree work related as it takes forever to chip a small brush pile. We got it when we bought the house due to the wooded area. It’s all hand fed and requires straight limbs. Operator must apply constant pressure on the branch to make it chip.
We inherited a few of those from customers. Tuned them up and passed them forward. Folks with orchard clippings that want to shread it into compost. Small orchards mind you.

Vibrations are bad on wrists from little chippers.
Chainsaw chipping with a saw with antivibe is easy both on bodies and volume reduction, with good techniques.

Hulk anti- vibe gloves help with little chippers.

Bulk in the hugel bed is a trade-off... quick breakdown versus longevity, from what I've read. I'm also interested in hugelkultur.

Vibrations are bad on wrists from little chippers.
Chainsaw chipping with a saw with antivibe is easy both on bodies and volume reduction, with good techniques.

Hulk anti- vibe gloves help with little chippers.

Bulk in the hugel bed is a trade-off... quick breakdown versus longevity, from what I've read. I'm also interested in hugelkultur.
We're using the wrong wood species, and I don't care, better to try than not. It'll take forever to break down to something bioavailable to plant roots, the chipper will help. It'll also help reduce the fire risk of enormous brush piles, drying in the high desert sun.

Here's the unit I really like and want, and probably won't get.

And this would be my dream set up with said unit. I've already got the tractor.

A chuck and duck can be found cheaper than a baby one, and will actually chip some stuff in a hurry. Super simple machine, so it's pretty easy to maintain, and as far as safety goes it's the same as the baby ones, big spinny thing with knives hooked to a motor. I got mine, a 12" chipmore owned by a utility company with an air cooled vm motori diesel, for just over a grand at an auction. It'll eat 3" on down faster than you can throw it in there (5-6" capacity) especially on straight limbs, and the chute is large enough that you don't have to fight/ trim everything, often a small nick will allow it to pull it thru. There's a huge misconception that they aren't a viable chipper for some reason, yes a much bigger and far more expensive machine with feedwheels to eat 10" + limbs in one gulp is far better for production but if you're not looking to chip that stuff that big an old school drum chipper does just fine, and can really make short work of it.

I’m assuming that even with the utmost care, the knives will dull due to the silicates in the wood. This is not nearly as quickly as a saw chain and that’s due to harder steel.

Correct statements?
I'd like to know the consensus re this Q

I'd like to know the consensus re this Q
Speaking out the side of my neck here...

I'd agree that those statements are indeed correct.

Saw chain is an under developed technology. From alloy and temper/heat treatment, to overall geometry. I refuse to believe that saw chain is a solved problem. I do believe that our greatest jumps in efficiency will come from further tooth and chain development.

I think a hugelkultur thread would be good.

Idk that the brush and logs are really meant to break down in any quick manner. Seems like that would use it up quickly. I think it's meant to have lots of large and small woody material, covered in a good layer of soil.

My chuck and duck has been destroying brush for me for 16 years.
You don't need to run it full speed. I occasionally run it full speed when machine-feeding into the 9x16" throat. Chrysler 318.
It's running better than ever. I have about $5k into it, now, total, aside from fuel.

Back