Chip Truck Insurance

NickfromWI

King of Splices
What are you guys paying for a years worth? I just got my first quote and it was over $3,000. Seems high. What do you think?

(wasn't sure where to put this thread...just stuck it here)

It's only a dump truck. I don't know Ca rates or changes for different GVW, but my one ton runs about $1100 maybe less since we bundled everything to one co.

Probably because you have no commercial vehicle insurance history.

When I bought my first bucket truck, I had been getting my business liability insurance from the same company for over 15 years off and on (my lawn business and later my tree business). I called them to add my bucket truck and they called back the next day with a quote of $6000 per year. Needless to say I instantly began shopping around and got a Progressive agent to cover me for $3500 per year. The second year it was $2600 and the third year it was $1800. I dropped my old business insurance agent at my next renewal and moved everything over to the new agent. There was a slight increase when I bought the new, bigger truck but it's dropped back down. Currently in year 7 and paid $1308 this year.

Ours is about $600, but ours is an older truck that might not be worth as much as yours. I wonder if your personal driving history factors in at all?

Everything figures in, including population density of your zip code, your driving history, your credit rating and a bunch of other stuff you couldn't imagine. Legalized extortion is all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nah- my driving history is quite good. My last moving violation was about 7 years ago....or more.

Brian may be on to something.

Better shop around.

Brian, I know we don't get along best out of all the folks here at the Tree House, but after reading your post, I want to hug you. I would've never thought to call progressive- just always thought of them as a "car" insurance company.

I called them and for FULL coverage they came in a full $1,200 cheaper than the quote for my current agent.

I know we climbed a tree together once in Baltimore. If the opportunity ever happens again that we should meet up at a TreeHouse gathering or something...I owe you a beer.

love
nick

(that's fair, right guys? He saved me over a thousand bucks and I buy a beer????)

edit- just got the email quote from them. The price the guy quoted ($2,100) was if I do installments. If I pay it all up front it's only $1,800. aka about $1,400 cheaper.

So a beer AND dinner then?

Just be sure you have the coverage you need. Some of our contracts require a million in liability. Also insurance is your first line of protection, you mess up and run someone over and disable them or your guys back into the wrong sports car, you want the coverage otherwise they will be knocking on your door for the balance.

The quote I got was a million dollar policy with equal coverage for uninsured. It has medical up to $5,000 (I don't understand why auto insurance maxes at $5,000 in medical...what can you get at a hospital for $5,000?)

Thanks, Bri-co!

Back