chip box, steel or aluminum?

treesandsurf

Treehouser
We're building a chip box this coming weekend and have come up with basically two routes: weld a steel box together or bolt an aluminum one together. The aluminum would obviously be more expensive but I could break it all down if I ever decide to ship it, the steel will be cheaper and easier to build but heavier and will be a lot harder to take down (stronger though). The steel also would have to be primed and painted which would add to the time but the aluminum should still take quite a bit longer, what do you guys think?

jp:D

The acidic nature of wood chips will react probabaly as badly on aluminum as it would on steel .Along with the direct chemical reaction of the wood chips there is bound to be an electrolytic reaction between the aluminum bed and the steel truck frame .Aluminum is considered a sacraficing metal ergo it would disappear given enough time .Besides that the stuff is expensive .

I always regret not building an aluminum box 15 years ago when it was cheap. Probably could have saved 5 trans's in all these years and lots of fuel

Blah......we have several alum bodies and they hold up just fine. It aint like chips are composting back there. You fill it, you dump it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Al, are you saying the aluminum is going to degrade significantly faster than the steel?

You can put annodes on an electric body to be sacraficial metal.

If you're only going to haul chips in it, aluminum is hands down the way to go for weight savings. I would likely have a steel lower and a aluminum upper, if I were chipping and hauling logs/other stuff as well.

An aluminum dump is my dream. It looks super sharp and it's so much lighter. But hey, plywood is super cheap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It will be going on this, steel mason bed

Attachments

• f550.JPG
    f550.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 18
No I'm just saying that while some might think aluminum is some miracle metal it's not .FWIW I've seen the bottoms on aluminum dumps get just as holey as steel ones given enough time .It' a choice though .

Bolting aluminum framework without welding won't be easy. The skin can be held on with blind/pop rivets very well.

My skills stop short of welding, I'll be building a thatch chip box this summer.

Folded steel would be my preferred option, the high sides on this are 2mm which is probably overkill, but they are very stiff and not that heavy.

068.jpg

You can get by with plywood but if you blow chips against it it won't last very long .Couple days with a stout chipper will blow right through 3/4" board .

As far as that goes I can't see where aluminum could hold up either for any length of time against a barrage of chips pelting it but it's not my call .Maybe a protective plate of thin sheet steel would protect it .Like 14 guage or something .Might even work with a piece of 22 gauge decking material .--junk yard dog ya know --

I built mine out of a steel frame and plywood sides with no signs of wear, but I only have about 600 yards of chips dumped with it.

I'd go aluminum. The day I worked with Brendon he had a sweet set up. Don't remember exactly, but I think he had a steel frame with aluminum sides, but I could be wrong. Everything I've heard though says aluminum is the way to go, you get more payload that way.

My first one was steel with ali frame. The new one is all ali. You'd be surprised how heavy that Ford is empty, it doesn't leave much for legal payload with the mason dump.

I vote welded aluminum frame, sides stuck on the inside with a tape made by 3M to attach box truck and trailer sides without fasteners. Pm for details on that.

Okay now somebody fess up on this .Are you blowing chips off the top directly onto the aluminum or shielding it in some way as to protect it from abbrasion ..

You take a peek at those Southcos made for Aspundh which are coated with epoxy that is hard as a rock .They've blown the coating right off them from the chips . You'd be hard pressed to beat that stuff loose with a ball peen hammer .

Blowing them right into the box. Once your an 1/8th full, chips are hitting other chips. not the inside walls of the box. hehe

Back