Chinese parts?

Is it refundable? :lol:

Hope you are getting something good, but I sure wasn't impressed by the Chinese chainsaw (junk) that a guy brought into my shop with problems. Cosmetically, for all practical purposes a copy of a good saw, except where a few critical considerations are. No carb there, maybe you will be ok. It just seems that Chinese have a problem controlling their own destinies when it comes to manufacturing. Get some other country's people overseeing their operations and it seems to go a lot better.

When I worked offshore , some Chinese shackles made their way onto the rig. We were ordered to turn them in whenever we ran across them as they didn't meet industry standards.

Meh, I'm leery to say the least! Looks like a lot of things to have to go right to make it all work right. I dunno.
I'd have leaned more this way myself. http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...embly-54mm-for-Stihl-066-MS-660-Chainsaws.axd these seem to be very respected kits from a company that is known to stand behind it's products.
Not that I'm opposed to buying Chinese mind you, but when it comes to something that's got to make me money, or I depend on, it's hard to skimp at that point IMO.

That is a completely false statement. You already have what are considered the most reliable top end chainsaws being made with Chinese manufactured parts. That would also apply to a whole slew of other industries as well, like many of the goods that you buy at your electronic's stores in the states for example, and sold as old US brands. German goods are long said to be made to exacting standards, and with parts out of China these days. There is a great divergence when it comes to Chinese manufacturing quality, but saying that it is all crap is maybe more like wishful thinking? Quality control is the key, some operations have it, some don't so well. Chinese are humans too, bro, and believe it or not, some want to do a good job just like you, maybe even to afford some security for raising a family. It is still a transition period for Chinese manufacturing. Their own standards are still lacking compared to the standards that are imposed upon them by companies from abroad with manufacturing facilities there. Little by little the Chinese brands are coming around as well. It merely follows the examples of what has happened in other countries, where it eventually gets recognized that doing quality is your best bet for the long run. China has a lot of people to come around on that.

Paul, last year I trashed the handle end of my 360. I bought all the replacement parts, assembled, from the same seller in your link. It showed up in the mail box in a week, USPS. Everything worked perfectly and was so cheap & quick, I actually felt ... guilty.
:)

Yea, industry standards aren't what they used to be.

Probably in many cases, but in others the standards are high for Chinese made goods. A friend of mine's son works for Apple. His job is sourcing the cases that hold certain computer models, mainly in China. His job is on the line, he isn't purchasing junk. It is a pretty complex subject, I think informed is a better position than simply making negative generalizations from an unfounded idea. A person can complain about foreign made imports, but all the complaining in the world isn't going to be bringing those goods back to domestic manufacturing any time soon. The current young generation might well completely forget that certain goods were ever made anywhere else.

The best quality goods made in China aren't necessarily cheap. A lot of that merchandise isn't seen in the west because people want the cheap option. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting for China and not particularly fond of the country, just hoping for fairness. China is slowly changing from mass manufacturing to small-production units of higher quality. Their space program exemplifies a high caliber of technology moving forward aggressively. There could well be a Chinese flag on the moon this year.

There's a difference between Chinese products, and cheap knock offs made in China. Same here in America. Lots of good products, and lots of complete trash made for cheap.

^^ What he said

I ordered a complete chinese starter assy for my ms660 once and the innards basically exploded into pieces immediately. I think certain aftermarket saw parts are a good deal, others not so much. Think Harbor Freight Tools...

If it was me, I might watch ebay till I got a good price on a parts saw.

There's also chainsawr.com. I have had good experience with them for OEM *used* parts.

I remember the day when Japanese was synonymis with cheap crap. That is long gone.

My neighbor asked me if I wanted a brand new Chinese bottle jack he bought that didn't work. I never took one apart before but thought what the hay. It missed the flushing out of the machining metal process. Ooops. It had a piece stuck under a check ball. Clean it up and new oil-works good.

I would prefer to buy products made in the USA or at least north America .I don't BTW consider Mexico as north America .Never the less in todays world that is almost an impossibility .

Being an informed buyer makes all the difference in what's junk and what's a good buy. As mentioned here, there are some 066 top end kits out there that are actually very good and a steal at the price point they are being sold... some even carry a warranty with them. The Mako 066 cylinder kit is one of them good deals!

Back