Cherry tree split in half

My father planted a few drawf trees around 1968 and they did fine except the old boy wasn't much for pruning .Sure enough one year under a heavy fruit load the little tree split .The old man propped up the limb ,let the fruit ripen then cut it off .It survived until an ice storm took out the rest of it .

My uneducated approach would be to put a couple coats of light colored paint on it, maybe keep the wood from direct exposure to the sun that could result in drying out and cracking, which wood will do.

+1 on peeling back that lawn!

That tree would've been a perfect candidate to bolt back together. Remember for next time!

I wouldn't put any wound sealer on it.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The tree has some history with me being the original cherry trees started out in SW KY down by TN MO borders. I used to pick and climb in them as a kid. My dad transplanted some off of them to southern ohio. I planted this cherry off of those in mid 90's in north central ohio.
One thing I have noticed is how much smaller this cherry tree is compared to the ones in southern KY. The ones in southern ohio are bigger then here but smaller then the KY ones too. Further north they move smaller they are growing.

I checked the dark weathered area and it is solid. No rot.

I am just going to let be and not seal it like some suggested.

My wife wanted me to cut it down the rest of the way but I thought it might be saveable is why I was checking.

Haven't seen the top, but staking might buy it some years.

One stake itself could work as sunblock as well if positioned right.

+1 on peeling back that lawn!

That tree would've been a perfect candidate to bolt back together. Remember for next time!

I wouldn't put any wound sealer on it.

love
nick

I had a Mountain Ash my Grandma dug out of her flower bed. I planted it in my front yard and it had grown to about 8 feet.

Someone slid their car over it sideways in the snow and broke it half way through close to the ground and split it up a couple feet. I put some 1/4" carriage bolts in it and drew it back together.

The tree grew to about 20 feet and lived for a couple decades until it up and died like they seem to do. Never found out who drove over it. Bet they were shocked it lived.

When I planted it in the late 70's they were not all that common. I wouldn't plant one today.

Back