Cherry tree split in half

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
I just cleaned up where one of my cherry trees split in half to the ground.

What should I use for a sealer to the half left or some kind redneck spray to use as sealer?

First clean up jagged stuff
Then apply something that will stick well. You'll probably need several coats.

The "don't paint wounds" advice only applies to pruning wounds at collars. Exposed heartwood has no such defenses so it makes sense to try something. imo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll snap a pic tomorrow when I get some pics of carb line routing for a guy.

Longer version said very slowly Butch :scratch:. Carb u r e tor f u e l line.

What does that have to do with a split cherry tree? :drink:

LOL I said I would snap a pic of tree when I go to snap a pic of carb lines for a guy. In other words I will have a camera in my hands and thought I would snap a pic of tree on the way back. Easy enough I thought.

I'll go ahead and be the naysayer, Kevin. Look at how dark the top of the split is, it's already started to rot from the inside out. I ran into this a week ago with a lady having a Bradford Pear that split a little worse than that. It's already deteriorating from the inside out, the heartwood is compromised, at best, and fruit trees aren't know for being the strongest to start with.
Sealing it you might get up to 5 years out of it, best guess, but now it's opened for root rot as well. Seal it all you want, but the ground will transfer through any sealant you use and you will have rot from the top and from the bottom.
I may very well be wrong, and can't wait to get educated on how/why I am, but I honestly don't see any reasonable way of saving it.

That darkening certainly happened at the initial split, long before the terminal split. It might have been saved at the initial split.
But, now ... looks like a 'gonner' for sure, IMO. :(

I was thinking the dark was just where it has been split for many years in that area and has been weathered.

My bad for not somehow pulling the 2 back together.

That dark area is just weathered exposed wood, not rot. Id leave that tree and enjoy it. Might die quickly, and might live a very long time with a nasty defect in it. If it isn't big enough to hurt anyone or anything, then enjoy it for what it is and the time it is. Just because it has a defect doesn't mean it will croak.

Fruit trees can be pretty resilient. I would remove some of the grass and soil and expose the root flare a little bit. If you really want to get crazy add some wood chips or mulch.

The dark upper part just looks like included bark to me.

I'd go with what Guy said on page 1.

That dark area is just weathered exposed wood, not rot. Id leave that tree and enjoy it. Might die quickly, and might live a very long time with a nasty defect in it. If it isn't big enough to hurt anyone or anything, then enjoy it for what it is and the time it is. Just because it has a defect doesn't mean it will croak.

+1

Back