Cat Rescue...and Other Reasons to Climb Trees

• Thread starter Frax
  • Start date
  • Replies 49
  • Views 7K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nora I noticed at the start of your video you were wearing one of those cool black ArborCanada long sleeve shirts. You must have taken a few of Dwayne's courses to snag that shirt.
He gave me a short sleeve one when I was down in Calgary last November when I took the hazard tree course.
BTW nice pussy removal:)

Taken a few courses from Dwayne. Always a great time and learn lots. Those shirts rock. They are the Arborwear tech shirts, so much better than cotton. You can buy them too. I think I'm going to get some to trade.

Taken a few courses from Dwayne. Always a great time and learn lots. Those shirts rock. They are the Arborwear tech shirts, so much better than cotton. You can buy them too. I think I'm going to get some to trade.
Thanks I'll send them an e-mail. Here in Manitoba the workplace, health and safety nazi's only allow Hi-Vi shirts. I'll have to wear my Hi-Vi short sleeve over it.

Nora, Ill admit it shocked me a bit, when you took off your gloves before handling the cat.
That is where I put on my rhinoceros hide gloves.
But then I'm not a cat person, and they probably sense that.

I once put a large plastic model of a great horned owl in a tree to discourage the rooks from colonizing it.
That worked really well.

And of couse I regularly climb trees just for the joy of it.

Been to California twice to frolic in the big ones and we are currently discussing where to go next.

I dream of spending the night in a blooming Adansonia Didieri, just to enjoy the huge flowers and all the visiting bats, lemurs and moths.

Richard speaks of 80 meters tall trees in African rain forests and we both hear the siren call of the Tasmanian Eucalyptus Regnans.

So many trees, so little time ( and money!)

I've never had an out of the ordinary tree climbing job but I have had a few out of the ordinary bucket jobs. Restringing a flag pole at the local cemetery, a couple of cat rescues (one the cat climbed into my arms and the other the cat jumped). A few light bulb changing jobs on light poles, and a ham radio antenna installation. On Tuesday I have an appointment to patch a 6" hole in a hay grinder tube that is about 25' up at a feed mill. Should be interesting. BTW very impressive cat rescue Nora.

And you can't take either one with you. Live a little. :D

I am.
Or at least it feels like I am. I'm 54, worn out from a lifetime of logging, but still planning the next overseas treeclimbing adventure.
If that is not living a little, what is?;)

Hahaha! Haven't laughed that hard in a while! I really lost it when you had to keep moving the tail out of your face to see what you were doing. I thought you wouldn't be able to get everything in the bag, and that you might come down with her tail still sticking out! Good vid!

An iguana, a raccoon, and a set of car keys.

Nora, that's a good quality cat rescue video. Pretty much how I do it, too.

Stig, the way the cat sniffed Nora's hand and let it be petted, you could tell it was going to be mellow. Usually the teeth and claws come out when you get within a foot of touching.

Bermy, I think they could wiggle out if there was an elastic hole in the bag. They can be crying bloody murder, and then for some reason when they're in the bag and can't see anything, they totally shut up.

That was funny about the tail. There's usually a tail or one last leg that's hard to get in.

At least if the cat has a home and has some consciousness of people being friendly, there is the potential for the cat behaving like that one did. Try and rescue a wild cat, as I have tried, and I got a bad puncture in my finger as a result. The next morning it was gone, or it might have died up there.

Fetched a dead dog out of a tree once, after a tornado landed him up about 40' was not pretty.:cry:

I still can't help but wonder if a leaf blower which will make a cat seek a tree would also encourage them seek the ground ? Somebody try it out if the tree isn't too high .

My cat didn't much appreciate a shot of air from the compressor, but he got more used to it. "Go outside and get some exercise". :D

Well done Frax!
I get calls a couple times a yr but when I say it costs XYZ the say No thank you.

I have been called out twice for Film shoots. Once to lop off a few limbs for scene shot over from Greensville and another time to tie up trailing Silver maple limbs with throwline for skyline shot of the Hammer.
Then I got paid again to untie the limbs.;)
Kinda exitiing stuff to know you contributed to the invasion of a whole city :evil:

Here's one from two weeks ago.

IMG_1135.jpg

We had a young outdoor cat get chased up a slender ash with a bunch of small limbs. A 32 foot ladder got me within 10 feet of her. I set a line and climbed the rest of the way up to her. I set her on my shoulder and she balanced there while I climbed down to the ladder. No claws digging in at all.

I guess she was real happy she was getting a ride down after she had been up there for a day and a half.

I told you guys last year I got a call to rescue a cat a mile from home. It was my own cat. 4 days in the tree in July.

Jay he was in horrible shape. Lost 60% of his body weight. Wasn't capable of running or jumping for weeks. He lost a lot of muscle.

Poor guy. When I burned my cat up in the wood stove, his recovery was a long one. I think he had some mental scars too, but I knew he was recovered when he started wondering about what is inside the stove again. I kept the door shut after that incident. I pulled a cat out of a narrow river near my place once. I thought he was making a recovery then it suddenly died. They reach a point of weakness and it is hard to come back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a weakness for ginger tabbies, Tucker. Your picture reminded me of yy favourite cat Hodori. He had 3 legs and 1 eye. He was impossible to keep in the yard. He had a lot of nicknames in the neighborhood. He lived to be 17.

My cat was a hapless sexual pervert. I still can see his bloodlines around, must be sixth or seventh generation at least. When he found his type (petite), he was relentless.

Back