Cabling Arborvitae

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I've got some Arborvitae to pull back together from a winter storm.

I was going to get some Arbor Tie. What sort of knot would you recommend? I came across the Arbor Knot and it's "supposed" to grow with the tree. Knot sure how it would work, and I'd think it'd need a periodic check also no matter what knot is used.

images

I don't believe that it will actually grow. If it were me- I'd use eye screws and wire and let the tree grow over it. You would never have to worry about girdling.

We've been using larger sized aluminum eye screws and aluminum wire. Chainsaw friendly when the time comes.

If you've already sold them on no-drill practices, i would go with the largest eyes i could fit. Heck- maybe just do a solid loop.

Takes too much labor, Nick. For arborvitae, one usually needs to do lots of tying. There are many knots that will keep a nice open loop.

I agree that the pictured knot would bind.

Only takes a couple minutes to install 2 screw eyes and some wire. You're probably spending less than 50¢ per setup.

I'm with Nick on this one, though swages would be even faster and cheaper.

Arbor-Tie is another option. Spiraling it around the trunk would lessen girdling issues, and could stay long-term. But hardware is best if it's permanent.

We get snow damage here on Arborvitae, I have used Arbortie a few times to reign them in. Tie one branch to another or use a spiral type system. Using the expanding / sliding knot is a good idea, in time it shouldn't girdle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I ended up not getting the job anyways. But now I need something to cable some small limbs on a winter damaged white birch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking the aluminum wire you mentioned. Or the type they sell at the box stores with the coating, then buy the crimps. Eye through bolts probably.

I'm going to do end weight reduction on the two limbs with concern, and add the cable to try to pull them back upright.

Back