Cable: How do you know if it's EHS???

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I am about to do my first independent steel cabling job. By that I mean that I've done dozens of cabling jobs in the past, but they were always while working for someone else and I just used cable that is in the truck.

Bishop is very close to where I live, but I'd have to buy 250' of it at $180. I got another store nearby that says they have it in stock, but they are a theatrical rigging shop....that sells it by the foot (about $1.50/ft)

I need a whopping 12' for this particular job, and typically prefer dynamic cable so it will be a LONG time until I use up 238' of steel, so I'd rather not invest in all that.

So when I walk in the shop, how do I know what they have is the stuff I want. Here's what I know so far:

-Should be 7 strand galvanized steel with one of the stranding be ing the "core"
-I shouldn't be able to bend the whole cable in half, but if I chop off a foot, I should be able to bend the individual strand and they should hold the shape (that is needed for installation with the rigguy wire stops)
-Should be rated to about 15,000 pounds

Is there any other tips y'all can offer?

Or...is there anyone that wants to buy 150' of 3/8" EHS off me :)

love
nick

EHS won't hold it's shape; it's spring temper, as opposed to annealed.

It will be harder to bed, yes. But not greatly difficult, if you're only working with 3/8".

If only I'd known you'd be looking for some; I have a kinda inside source. :/:

Shoot, I could have sent some south with Steve and Jesse. I have a partial roll, I don't know what it takes to ship it. You in a hurry?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sortof- I'm doing a bunch of pruning work on friday next week, so I'd like to do the install at the same time. But honestly, I don't mind telling the lady I'm out of cable and it'll have to wait one more week and just run back up one day for the install. Cabling is peaceful work! (especially now that I have my awesome hand drill!)

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just found out treestuff sells EHS cable by the foot!

Placed my order and I'll be good to go next week!

love
nick

Excellent.

What splicing order? :?

No galvanized stuff here, Nick; 302/4 stainless. I could procreate a few dozen feet off the next run in a few months.

"Procreate" I like that Erik.

Be fruitful and multiply!

Have fun Nick; good hand drills are truly awesome yes. Patience with the wirestops is good--there is an issue with wedgegrips apparently; even if installed to the T.

Back