Buying a 2001 Vermeer 1230A

Silverbackarb

TreeHouser
Just bought a new truck 2005 dodge 3500, didn't think I'd be buying my first chipper so soon. But a privately owned small guest ranch is selling their 1230A with 1,015 hours on it, machine looks fabulous. All maintenance records are available. They are asking 10k, if I don't pick it up tomorrow its sold on Tuesday. Let me know what you guys think.

I keep reading stuff on the auto feed but it seems no matter what brand you go with they have various problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Around here it seems like BC1000's with 1,500 to 2k hours go for 10k. So it's a little bigger, looks like a lot easier to work on and it has the bigger Perkins diesel.

I have never used the 1230. Ran other Vermeers. Ask them to run it, offer them money for fuel. Run it wide open for 30 minutes or more, Put in some 12" logs and see how well the feed wheels crush crotches. If you like how it performs then maybe it will be a good step for your business. You might love it or hate it.

Aside from that, I would recommend not rushing into buying any piece of equipment, without doing your research. If it is meant to happen, it should happen.
Don't just buy it because someone else would the next day. Set your budget, and do your homework, as much reading as you can do.
If you don't get this one, another one will come around.

Also, don't assume all machines are built equal, or will all have the same problems. Hope this helps and best of luck with your purchase!

I own a 1250 and it has been a good machine for what I do. Had a lot of recent trouble but all minor issues. I've been checking in the resale and it seems to be around 9 grand for my machine in the condition it's in and hours. I am looking to upgrade though

I have never used the 1230. Ran other Vermeers. Ask them to run it, offer them money for fuel. Run it wide open for 30 minutes or more, Put in some 12" logs and see how well the feed wheels crush crotches. If you like how it performs then maybe it will be a good step for your business. You might love it or hate it.

Aside from that, I would recommend not rushing into buying any piece of equipment, without doing your research. If it is meant to happen, it should happen.
Don't just buy it because someone else would the next day. Set your budget, and do your homework, as much reading as you can do.
If you don't get this one, another one will come around.

Also, don't assume all machines are built equal, or will all have the same problems. Hope this helps and best of luck with your purchase!

I agree. Seems like sometimes when I let something pass me by, it comes back around. I have had that same pressure put on me,the whole "it will be gone tomorrow" and what do you know? It was there for a year and the price dropped. You obviously know the situation better than us of course. I just hate the sale pitch!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
BIGTWIG I will be bringing a truck load of wood to test it with. And I completely agree on not rushing it, I used to get so excited about things that I would buy whatever I thought I needed and drain my bank account down to single digits(literally). Then later on I would have buyers remorse and wish I could go back. When my dad and I bought a portable mill I bought a 440,441, and 460 all in one month while making 13 dollars an hour haha. I'm trying to widen up and after staying up until 2 last night I've decided I'll either talk it down to 8500 or I'll pass. I don't have a chip truck and as of right now my plans are to tandem the chipper and trailer(not a dump, I'll be shoveling for a few months). But I saw a few ideas on mounting the chipper on a trailer and have a side dump box right behind it. That seems like it would fit my needs the best, so I'm going to get the price down so I have a jump start on the new trailer I'll build. I don't see why this wouldn't work and I already have two 7k axles.

If you were to build something as intricate as a single unit chipper/trailer/dump, I would suggest looking into building yourself custom dump bed/tool boxes on your dodge, maybe look into airbags or timbren's to help carry the load better. You could build a flatbed with removable sides and lid to have a really versatile truck. If you're talking about hitching two trailers together over 10,000gvw you may need a Class A CDL with combination endorsement depending on your location and state laws.

Keep in mind
1. Backing up larger trailer(s) into tight areas for residential tree care is going to be much more difficult than a 1 ton and 12" chipper. Taking up more space on a busy street can be a hassle as well.
2. Resale value, if you want to upgrade, or you have to sell it, will you get your return of investment for such a custom piece of equipment?
3. Price shop the units that are already built that way from the factory, is it cost effective to build your own?

You know your market, and typical jobs better than we do, but those are some questions that may be worth asking yourself before big decisions. Again, best of luck.

BIGTWIG I will be bringing a truck load of wood to test it with. And I completely agree on not rushing it, I used to get so excited about things that I would buy whatever I thought I needed and drain my bank account down to single digits(literally). Then later on I would have buyers remorse and wish I could go back. When my dad and I bought a portable mill I bought a 440,441, and 460 all in one month while making 13 dollars an hour haha. I'm trying to widen up and after staying up until 2 last night I've decided I'll either talk it down to 8500 or I'll pass. I don't have a chip truck and as of right now my plans are to tandem the chipper and trailer(not a dump, I'll be shoveling for a few months). But I saw a few ideas on mounting the chipper on a trailer and have a side dump box right behind it. That seems like it would fit my needs the best, so I'm going to get the price down so I have a jump start on the new trailer I'll build. I don't see why this wouldn't work and I already have two 7k axles.
I'm assuming you're in the states so forgive me if I put a European perspective on this.
There's a reason 99 percent of tree blokes tow a chipper behind a truck, it's simple and economical. A lot of the time you can just blow the chip onto the ground/into a wood.

Id dump that 1230 in the nearest river and buy a used bandit in dire need of a paint job for the same money. Those 1230s and 1250s suck as chippers. I had a 1250 for years but only because I scored it for 5 grand. At ten grand, you can get a bandit 150 which will shame that 1230.

Back