Butter question!

yup. my wife doesnt believe me about it though, she stores the olive oil and grapeseed oil bottles above the stove, doesnt understand that being up there vs a cool pantry closet is why it goes rancid. Of course you have Costco to thank for that too, who knew our household would require olive oil in gallon containers? :?

Yep, that's what we use. The water keeps the butter cut off from air/ants/etc and keeps it at a good temp so's it spreads easy, but isn't runny. Just about perfect consistency.

Paul's dish looks like it's made to have a little water on the outside of the rim of the dish. The water doesn't have to have "any" depth to it, just enough so the the surface tension bridges the dish to lid interface.

actually the dish we have doesnt hold much. its gone long before it has issues with spontaneous composting. Also the doors and windows do a fairly efficient job of keeping the insects outside ;)
I think the dish would hold 3/4 cup of butter.

Good luck with the doors and windows keeping out Alabama fireants! They seem to be able to find a way into anything. I forgot to treat the yard last spring, and we had a bumper crop of them. Treated it in summer, and reduced their numbers quite a bit. They will cover the butter up if given a chance. We used to keep it on one of the regular butter dishes with lid, and the ants would somehow squeeze under the lid and get to the butter. Haven't had any equipped with scuba gear yet though....:D

Back